I can't believe this shit.

Started by NFG, October 04, 2003, 12:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NFG

So in the continued tale of my networking woes, the following occured yesterday:

I had a loose audio wire so I wriggled it around and fixed it - but my soundcard cut out.  So I powered down and rebooted.  Sound card worked, but my LAN didn't.  Rebooted again and the shit hit the fan: no LAN, no sound, no CD drives, no TV tuner, no PnP....

Fuck!  Cascading failure mode or what?  After a few hours of rage it turned out my network adaptor was fried...  First time I've had a modern piece of equipment fail on me.

1. Windows decided I couldn't assign the new network card the old IP because the previous adaptor was using it and, even though it had been removed from the system, it would cause conflict if it was reinserted.  And it was hidden from me because it was removed, so I couldn't un-assign the IP.  Does that make ANY sense?  

2. Moving a card from one slot to another requires that windows reinstall the drivers...  Why?  And why not use the old drivers instead of making me dig out the original CD??  Stupid.

Vertigo

I think we all know the answer to why on that last bit.
And at least the forum works more than one day a week, right? Right?
Looks like a case of the pre-winter blues ;)

Haohmaru

Once the Microsoft curse is inflicted on thee thou musteth:

Sacrifice a token system of your choice by dousing with Tequila, igniting, and dancing around (sans clothes) after midnight for 10 minutes while chanting something about Bill Gates' money.

Get busy.

Tom61

Hey Lawrence, you been wanting a new motherboard, right? You had better start looking now if you haven't.

Almost exactly the same thing happened to a friend of mine. The north bridge died shortly later. Have you tried the network card in another system? My friend's 'bad' network card turned out to be good.

Have fun!  :o  

NFG

The LAN's onboard, it can't be removed.

Haohmaru

QuoteThe LAN's onboard, it can't be removed.
Send it over here, yo, and I'll show you that it can be removed.  :blink: