thrustmaster xbox wheel question

Started by billy_dimashq, September 11, 2004, 10:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy_dimashq

ok here's the deal.

bought a thrustmaster ferrari modena 360 xbox wheel (non force-feedback).

if i connect it to the pc via my xbox->usb connector, it is recognised as an hid device (game control panel calls it ferrari wheel - not bad)

the wheel works in that all the buttons function, as do the pedals, and the wheel itself is analogue. however, the pc always assumes the wheel is in the 'up' position and all the rudders are on full no matter what. the pedals are recognised as bog-standard digital buttons

anyway, i tried it on mame32 playing outrun and the steering is analogue, and the pedals etc can all be mapped. sometimes the 'up' issue causes probs when navigating menus but exiting and restarting mame sorts that out

but that's besides the point:

when i force the wheel to operate in xbox mode (by installing an xbox driver such as xbcd, xctrl or xid), the buttons all begin to work as they should (all analogue, including face buttons and pedals) but the actual left-right wheel movement is dodgy - the center position is read as either extreme left or extreme right. when in the control panel with the button testing and the square with a cross-hair for joystick movement, turning the wheel fully in either direction causes the cross-hair to move from the edge towards the centre.

this behaviour is odd, as the drivers don't do that if a regular xbox pad is used, and also if the regular usb hid driver is installed (although i then lose analogue pedal function)

so here's my idea; i've got some hex invertor chips here that i used for my saturn region mod - 74LS04 - what they do is invert the voltage supplied to a point. so if two points are used, one will get 5v and the other 0v, say, and if the 5v one then got 0v, the other would then get 5v. if i rigged this chip up to the wheel, anyone reckon it'd sort out the problem? it'd then give the correct voltage i think for the pc to recognise the proper wheel movement

i haven't tried the wheel on the xbox yet, so it could be that it's just dodgy! either that or it requires specific support from whatever game you're using, in which case i think inverting the voltage would probably sort this out...

your thoughts people