Neo Geo -> Gamecube cont. adapter? where?

Started by Silver237, September 11, 2004, 01:44:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver237

Hey Lawrence, I cant find any mod page for the Neo Geo -> Gamecube cont. adapter you made out of the DC VMU casing. Could you (or are you going to...) put a page up for it? The reason I wanted to check it out is becuase I have something I want to test out. Do you think you could plug the Neo Geo CD PADS into this adapter and then buy a GC -> PC usb adapter to use the Neo Geo CD PADS on a PC...like an adapter for an adapter type of thing. Or would the signal get too crossed up?

Also could this be done for the Neo Geo -> PSX adapter also?

NFG

There's no mod page for this 'cause it's no different than any other mod.  Install a DB15 for the neo controller, and rin wires to the proper places on the controller's PCB.  Done!

Remember, when you do this you're merely moving the switches from the PCB with a chip on it to a pad at the end of a cable.  You're not adding new logic or making new transcoders, you're just making a switch extension cable.  With this in mind, do you really need to ask if the signal's getting too crossed up?  

Silver237

I guess one of the challenges I was wondering about was that the Neo Geo CD pads use +5 volts for grounding, & every other uses -5. So how would this be done to get it to work on a PC? This is the last controller that still needs to be modded for use on the PC. Yet NOBODY has done it yet....or at least not that I know of. Do you know how?

NFG

You're a bit confused.  Nothing uses +5v for Ground, it's impossible.  If you use +5v, it's not Ground anymore.  Ground is, by definition, 0v.

Nothing uses -5v for ground either, by the same rule.  No controller I've ever seen uses negative voltages for anything.

No one mods the controller for use on a PC 'cause no one has one, is my bet.  They're common to the gaming crowd, but not to the PC crowd.  The thing is, there's nothing to mod here.  The Neo controllers have no logic you need to circumvent, they have a bunch of switches, some wire, and a DB15.  That's it.  

Dave

I will never see this forum again , but just to point out ...   On a computer , a logic 0 or "ground" is -5v and a logic 1 is +5v  ..      no 0v in a pc .. maybe that's where the confusion came from ?

Dave

NFG

QuoteOn a computer , a logic 0 or "ground" is -5v and a logic 1 is +5v .. no 0v in a pc .. maybe that's where the confusion came from ?
This doesn't make any sense, ground is zero volts, that's the definition of ground!  The computer case is ground, and it's not -5v!!  Don't be hit-and-run with your lies and misinformation.  Perhaps you're working for Bush?  ;)

phreak97

heres one i actually agree with lawrence on.. ground is 0v and always will be 0v.. you cant pull it up to anything, or down to anything.. it will only pull whatever you give it down to 0v.. that's why it is ground.. dunno about elsewhere.. but here in australia almost everything uses the earth pin on our power outlets.. this is connected to an "earth stake" which is basically a copper pipe bashed down into the ground.. within an appliance the earth wire almost always connects directly to ground.. proof you will never change ground from 0v.. at least not unless you make earth itself sit at a voltage other than 0v.
and as lawrence says.. you cant use a voltage as ground because then you are pulling to a voltage and not to ground, therefore it is no longer ground.. and if it is, then pulling to (the real) ground will counter it. with the logic of you ppl.. ground just got pulled to ground.. now i see.. it all makes perfect sence now[/sarcasm]

NFG

Nice job, phreak.  You've confused me now.

phreak97

lol, i dont know if i have ever seen you confused before.. i think i saw you mistaken once.. but not confused:P

btw i edited the post and reworded some of it.. hopefully it makes a little more sense now..  

Ultimate Dev'r

Well, all electricity is is a difference in potential, so you could have say +5 be ground and +10 be your positive.

NFG

True, but for the sake of convenience if nothing else I think it's a bad idea to even suggest ground is anything but zero volts.  

Ultimate Dev'r

Yes, it is a little easier to have ground be 0v, but still, just wanted to let everyone know ground is not always 0v.