Convert PS1 controllers to PS2

Started by fragment, August 27, 2004, 02:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragment

Ok, so I am playing Medal of Honor Rising sun on my PS2, it is an average FPS but I like to play it anyways. So I was looking to get a multitap so I can have a deathmatch with some friends when not playing online. Well it turns out that with this game YOU MUST have a PS2 controller to play, for any player.

Well here is my question:

How does the system distinct from a PS1 and a PS2 controller? Is it something complicated or just a simple "jumper" that tells the system what is what.

Is there any way into tricking the system that a PS1 controller is a PS2 controller? I have TONS of PS1 controllers and never had to buy any additional PS2 controllers until now.....

Erik

NFG

The chip inside the controller performs a complicated handshake with the console on powerup, including things like the number of buttons available, whether they're analogue or digital, the number of direction buttons, the number of motors and the max number that can be used at once, and - yes - what controller it is.

Unless there's a use for the analogue buttons it sounds like EA is just basically trying to screw you, which certainly fits with my image of EA's MO.

fragment

I think they were lazy and they didn't care about encoding the PS1 controller. They cut alot of corners on that game, you can tell it was rushed. Yet I find myself playing it all the time in light of the problems, the online play can be fun if you play with cool people. It is the people that you play with that make it fun, not the game itself.

Oh well, looks like I am screwed.... cheap madcatz for players 3 and 4.... =)

phreak97

hmm.. that sucks.. driv3r is like that too.. and ill almost guarentee that's because the designers were really lazy.. the game has so many glitches its not funny, the police cars spend half their time flying in and out of floors and walls... putting cheats on amplifys these problems a thousand times.. it also looks like they designed the game for psx then ported it, it looks horrible. and yeah, it doesnt support psx controllers at all.