PC USB pads on XBOX

Started by MKL, July 23, 2004, 12:28:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MKL

I have no access to an XBOX so I'd appreciate if someone could give me first-hand info.

I see that there is a plug adapter for hooking up a PC USB device to an XBOX since the controller sockets on the console are just differently shaped USB ports.

The questions are:

- Are all PC gamepads fully compatible with the XBOX?
- Both with regular XBOX games and emulated games?
- Plug&Play or you need drivers?

NFG

The xbox pads could be con sidered USB+, they have an extra pin which is used for identification (this is old info, things may have changed).  Therefore, without an adaptor including some extra logic, no USB pads are directly compatible.

Tom61

To be fully compatable a pc would have to have:
2 analog thumbsticks
1 digital 4 way crosspad
12 analog buttons

in addition to the proper identifier and additional logic (if needed, I thought the extra wire was for the headset).

Arakon

the extra wire is a sync signal for lightguns.

USB pads don't work cause they don't have the proper identification, so the xbox won't recognize them as valid hardware.

bcforn64

Quotethe extra wire is a sync signal for lightguns.

Cool,I've been looking for this info. Do you know what the purpose of the extra wire is when it comes to steering wheels? I've heard that the extra wire is used for that also.

Adeptus

Quote12 analog buttons
Analog buttons??? As in, they can tell how far/hard you're pressing???
That's the first time I've heard this.

NFG

It's true, they're analogue.  They use a system similar to the PS2s analogue buttons.

bcforn64

Kinda sucks too. I find analogue buttons to be rather pointless. I've only seen them put to good use in a few games. As for 2-D games like fighting games and shooters they are usless. I'd prefer the original PS1 Dualshock over the Dualshock 2 for fighting games any day. Analogue buttons don't respond as well as a digital button click. And when they wear out it's horrible.

NFG

The nice thing about the analogue system used by the PS2/Xbox is that it's basically a free feature, you can implement them at practically zero cost and in light of that - and the fact that they don't really feel any different than normal buttons - why NOT have analogue buttons?

Yeah, they don't quite feel as clicky, but put 20 hours into any digital pad and it'll feel about the same. ;)