Building a Joystick with LEDs

Started by Strychnine, June 18, 2004, 09:40:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strychnine

Hey, I'm building my own joystick for the PS2. I've got everything pretty much figured out, but in the process of designing, and figuring out just how easy/cheap it is to get acrylic laser cut - I've been thinking of making the stick even more appealing on the eyes.

I'm planning on masking parts inside of the acrylic box, and spraying the inside black. I would like to be able to put some bright LEDs inside of the box so that it would glow through the unpainted parts. Does anyone know if it is feasible to have the LEDs draw from the playstation controller pcb/port? Assuming that I find LEDs with a lower enough power requirement, would it be possible to wire that into the PCB when I'm soldering the controls?

Thank you!

NFG

Most LEDs use about 30mA of power (IIRC, don't take my word for it), so check what the PS2 power port outputs (You may have to use the unregulated 8v, instead of 5v, check both) and then find out how much draw the joystick has, and then do the easy math.

benzaldehyde

You might also want to consult Phreak97, who created a very awesome LED mod for himself.

Strychnine

That is pretty sexy. I did know that it was possible to put LED's in -  I wasn't quite sure if it would be detrimental to the port in any way due to the increased power requirements. But I am gathering from yours and Lawrence's replies that it wouldn't be a problem. Thank you.