News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Yaen

Started by yaen, June 11, 2004, 04:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yaen

Ive seen oodles and oodles of "play with psx controllers on your other consoles", but is it possible to do something like Saturn to PSX? or Genesis to PSX?
You may ask me why, I jsut say "for the sake of havn' fun with a new project".

I also dislike holding the psx controller in general. It just dosnt feel right in my (big) hands.

Vertigo

I have fairly small hands for a guy and I also think the PSX controller is a piece of shit, loose badly-placed analog sticks, mushy and often unresponsive buttons, a d-pad with great chasms between the cardinal directions so diagonals are a real pain in the arse, non-tactile and often squeaky shoulder buttons (did I get everything there?), but hey, to your question. Yes, of course any pad-to-system mod is possible, it just takes a little intelligence, a few looks at things such as pinouts on gamesx.com and a bit of time to plan what you're going to do so that you don't mess it up and trash one or two pads in the process. It's basically just a case of substituting like for like figuratively speaking, where the PS pad's physical parts interact with the PS pad's circuits, instead you're making the Saturn or MD or any other pad's parts interact with the chip. It really isn't as hard as it seems so I'd suggest taking a look at the conversion mods that are currently posted on gamesx.com and in other places and then adapting them to your own requirements.
I'm sure your questions, so long as they are not "show me how, step by step", will be welcome and your end results will also be nice to see.
Good luck.

yaen

Well the encoding part of the controller's info is quite obvious, my problem tho is the decoding of the saturn controller. The controller chips dont go both ways do they?

If not then possibly the saturn board has something (I have a junk system for spare parts) or would that something the processor handles.

Or am I over simplifying the idea of a contrller to decoder to encoder to system kinda like the neo converter on the site.

fragment

QuoteIve seen oodles and oodles of "play with psx controllers on your other consoles", but is it possible to do something like Saturn to PSX? or Genesis to PSX?
You may ask me why, I jsut say "for the sake of havn' fun with a new project".

I also dislike holding the psx controller in general. It just dosnt feel right in my (big) hands.
there already is a great converter for bringing PSX to Saturn, MD, SNES, PC-Engine. It is the Tototek Classic Joypad converter series.

They are only $15 from this website, and I think slow shipping was only like $5 when I ordered. I orginally got my first one from Lik-sang, but it is cheaper to buy directly here:

http://www.tototek.com/

It works great. The reason I wanted to use PSX controllers on different systems is because I made some very nice custom arcade joysticks. They work like a champ and I wanted to use them for Saturn 4 Meg fighting games. Very happy with them.

yaen

Glad to know the custom pad works well enough (would come in handy when I make my own arcade pad(s).
Anyway, I jus thope someone can give me some info about decoding the saturn controller without modding the controller itself.

What i'm trying to do in the long run is use a standard psx controller as the encoder so that I can fake direct pad pro. 2 Saturn Analog controllers just dont want to work at all and it bugs the hell out of me. Especialy when the wires dont cross, the diodes are just as requested, the connections are all fine... and then I read up on all these problems from forums about saturn controllers. ugh, Ahwell.

atom

Just forget it man. Buy a 3rd party controller thats shaped different or just get a gamecube. Good luck, I think in Electronics Boutique i saw a pretty cool one called a FPS Gamepad. Pretty confy in my hands.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

martianviking

I'd like to chime in that I also was looking for a converter that did this (allowed you to use ANY other controller on a PlayStation), and I was absolutely unable to find anything.

There are converters available that will allow you to use PlayStation pads on almost every other system out there (with analog and vibration support), but there does not seem to be a single converter available that will allow another controller to be used on a PlayStation.

A plug-to-plug "XXXX to PlayStation" controller converter is definitely an area of need.  I'm still a bit unclear why it is that these little companies in Taiwan have built about every other converter imaginable, but not a single "to PlayStation" converter.

fragment

just out of curiosity, what do you guys think of the Retrocon made by Madcatz. I think two of those controllers would be great for my SNES and NES PS2 emulators. According to IGN the D-pad was a let down but I wanted to see what you guys thought. In review 2, the person actually liked the D-pad.

Review 1 (IGN)

Review 2

Martin

Quotejust out of curiosity, what do you guys think of the Retrocon made by Madcatz. I think two of those controllers would be great for my SNES and NES PS2 emulators. According to IGN the D-pad was a let down but I wanted to see what you guys thought. In review 2, the person actually liked the D-pad.

Review 1 (IGN)

Review 2
WOW :o !!!
That PAD is SWEEEEEEET!
*wants*
That's like the Famicom and Saturn pad's secret bastard child! :lol:
[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']barenakedladies[/font][/span]

martianviking

I also thought it looked really nice in pictures, but I was able to see one in person, and the d-pad was so bad I didn't buy it.  It really was so bad that it didn't seem like it would be any fun to play a game with that controller.

It sure would be a lot nicer if there was an adapter available that would allow the use of SNES pads on a PlayStation.