Willing to pay for a PS/PS2 controller decoder

Started by Kenshiro07, May 03, 2004, 11:41:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenshiro07

I really want help with getting complete schematics of a PS/PS2 controller decoder that can decode the digital directions up, down, left, right, 5 buttons and start.
And if you want money for it, I'll pay you of course. Just name your price.

VPCoder

Hi,

take a look at  http://nfg.2y.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=426&st=0

I cannot give you any end time, because I'm really busy (working at day, school in the evening, freetime is short), but I always do some short parts. At the moment I'm finishing the documentation of PS Pad to TTL Interface. Next step then is to implement the PS/2 encoder.

Greets VPCoder

Kenshiro07

Oh okay, great! Pingu is actually a friend of mine and he's going to use the decoder for a supergun he's gonna make of a Tekken Tag arcade PCB board. And it would be so nice if you could just plugg in any PS/PS2 arcade stick or pad you want without having to modify them. I need that feature since I travel a lot to different countries and compete in tournaments. And the reason why I need the supergun as soon as possible is because I'm going to a tournament held in Finland may 19th and I would really like to take it with me because the arcade version is so much better than the PS2 version. ^_^

Kenshiro07

Okay.. Now I'm really desperate! I don't have much time left until the tournament begins. So I'll offer 100 Euros to the one that helps me out with this device this week from 12th to 16th may.

Guest_VPCoder

I've sent you an email. Please take a look into your mail account

Greets VPCoder

Kenshiro07

You have? Strange because I've checked my hotmail and I haven't recieved any mail from you. Did you send the mail to me, or to my friend Pingu?

VPCoder

Kenshiro, I sent you a personal message now (just because I don't want to show my email to everyone -> spam etc.)

dale

Have you found anything that will work yet?  I just finished a quick & dirty decoder for PS1/PS2 gamepads using an Atmel ATtiny26.  It reads all the digital buttons and the two analog joysticks, but I don't know how to read the analog buttons yet.  I could send you a chip and a schematic if you're not already on a plane for Finland...

Kenshiro07

Damn, I'm quite lucky. The tournament has been delayed to june 2nd. phew..  :ph34r:

Oh, that's sounds nice dale, but did you mean that the analog buttons could not be readed on the PS2 controllers?

Guest_VPCoder

Kenshiro, do you also need the analog sticks for decoding ? I could only give the digital buttons out to 5V Signals.

Dale, it is easy to read out the analog sticks, have a look to http://www.gamesx.com/controldata/psxcont/psxcont.htm and look for "Analogue Controller in Red Mode" inside the text.

This weekend, I will able to finish the project inclusive the hole documentation (in german).

Greets VPCoder

Kenshiro07

Nope, don't need the analog sticks since the decoder device is going to be used for Tekken Tag and that game uses only 4 directions up, right, down, left and 5 buttons and a start button.

That's so great that you're gonna be finished this weekend!!  :D
And don't worry about that the documentation is in german because Pingu can read german very well. ^_^

CC_Devil

Why don't you use a PS/PS2 to NeoGeo converter and remove/adapt the Neo converter (the pinout is on GameSX)?
I did that to connect a PS2 stick to an arcade board and it works great...

The converter is made by ToToTek but you can order it from either Play-Asia or Lik-Sang

Instead of paying 100 euros, just make a small contribution to InsertCredit

CC

Kenshiro07

That converter will not work I'm afraid because you only use A,B,C,D buttons and thats only 4 buttons. And Tekken Tag needs 5 regular buttons and a START button. The 5 regular buttons are: LEFT PUNCH button, RIGHT PUNCH button, LEFT KICK button, RIGHT KICK button and the TAG button.

VPCoder

Hi Kenshiro,

I wrote you a PM some days before but unfortunately I didn't get a reply. My project has finished and you can download it from  

http://pegasossoft.de/PSXtoTTL.zip

Please remember, the hole docu is written in german
If you need other buttons than in my project, let me know. The change is easy to do.

If you have any questions, ask here in this board and do not ask Carsten from pegasossoft, because he just hosts my project (I don't have a homepage).

Greets VPCoder

Kenshiro07

Aaaah! At last! Thank you so incredibly much man!!  :)
I'm like writing this reply with tears of happiness pouring down my cheeks!  :D
I'll let you know right away when Pingu has finished building the decoder device and tested it out (can barely wait for that  :P ). Thanks once again! Really appreciated! YOU'RE THE MAN!!!  B)

dale

No, I've got the analog sticks working just fine - what I wanted was info on the "analog" or pressure sensitive buttons for the PS2 controllers.

I've got the Logitech wireless 2.4GHz PS2 gamepad hooked up to a little 2 wheel robot that I can drive around in 3 different modes.  The first mode is strictly digital and uses the D-pad for forward, reverse, spin left & spin right.  Very easy & straightforward, but kinda boring and not really worth $150 in hardware to reproduce a $10 R/C toy  :)  The other modes are analog, one being differential or tank style driving using both sticks and the other being single stick control, ala electric wheelchair.  It works pretty well.  I also use one of the right buttons to toggle the LED headlights on & off.  Gives it some character.

What I'd like to do is use the pressure information from the buttons to control other functions, like a gripper - the harder I press, the tighter it squeezes.

Who knows where I can get this information?  Thanks a lot.

VPCoder

Hi dale,

sorry. I didn't realize, what kind of analog information you looked for. That is because I don't have a PS2, I misunderstood you. But now it's ok, I know what you mean. Unfortunately I don't have this information. But I think, it should be possible to get this information when you 'listen' to the signals with an oscilloscope.

Greets VPCoder

dale

Yes, it would be possible if I had a PlayStation2, which I don't.  I'm only interested in using the controller for driving my robots.

Also, if anyone still needs a decoder chip, I can provide the chip or a complete circuit with LEDs, etc.  Just let me know what buttons/sticks you need decoded.

Someone somewhere has access to the information I'm looking for.  Where are you?

CC_Devil

QuoteThat converter will not work I'm afraid because you only use A,B,C,D buttons and thats only 4 buttons. And Tekken Tag needs 5 regular buttons and a START button. The 5 regular buttons are: LEFT PUNCH button, RIGHT PUNCH button, LEFT KICK button, RIGHT KICK button and the TAG button.
Well, you actually have access to A,B,C,D, Start and Select.
Just re-map select to your fitfh button.
I'm using it as coin 1 myself.

The converter also works with the analog sticks of the ps2 pad.

More details here.

I think it's a more professional and tested solution, but that's up to you.

CC

LUFBRA-TONY

Bytes 10 to 21 are the analogue buttons.  
10   →     0x00=Off    0xFF=On
11   ←     0x00=Off    0xFF=On
12    ↑      0x00=Off    0xFF=On
13    ↓      0x00=Off    0xFF=On
14    ∆     0x00=Off    0xFF=On
15    O    0x00=Off     0xFF=On
16    X     0x00=Off    0xFF=On
17         0x00=Off    0xFF=On
18   L1    0x00=Off    0xFF=On
19   R1    0x00=Off    0xFF=On
20   L2    0x00=Off    0xFF=On
21   R2    0x00=Off    0xFF=On

ID byte is 0x79

Fattyfromthefuture

QuoteHi Kenshiro,

I wrote you a PM some days before but unfortunately I didn't get a reply. My project has finished and you can download it from  

http://pegasossoft.de/PSXtoTTL.zip

Please remember, the hole docu is written in german
If you need other buttons than in my project, let me know. The change is easy to do.

If you have any questions, ask here in this board and do not ask Carsten from pegasossoft, because he just hosts my project (I don't have a homepage).

Greets VPCoder
Awesome project, too bad my burner does not support that Pic.

martianviking

QuoteWell, you actually have access to A,B,C,D, Start and Select.
Just re-map select to your fitfh button.
I'm using it as coin 1 myself.

The converter also works with the analog sticks of the ps2 pad.

More details here.

I think it's a more professional and tested solution, but that's up to you.

CC
I just noticed that the PlayStation to Neo Geo controller converter that you linked to doesn't follow the same layout as the standard Neo Geo pad.

A "real" Neo Geo CD pad sets up the buttons so that if you looked at it as a PlayStation pad, "A" would be X, "B" would be circle, "C" would be square, and "D" would be triangle.  (A is at the bottom, B to the right, C to the left, and D to the top.)

That converter you linked to has it rotated 90 degrees clockwise, so "A" has moved to square, "B" has moved to X, "C" has moved to triangle, and "D" has moved to circle.

I wonder why they felt the need to change the layout from the already established SNK layout.