USB converters and lag

Started by TuZhao, May 01, 2004, 11:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TuZhao

I happily bought  the 3-in-1 PC Joybox which sports 3 joypad sockets (SS, PSX, DC) and connects to the USB port. Problem is, I feel a noticeable lag in playing MAME (I'm using a Saturn pad). I'd say it's at least 70-80 msec.
I thought it was a MAME's fault, so I tried an old pc gamepad that plugs into the joystick gameport, using a standard 6 button windows driver, and it was super responsive, like playing a real arcade!
So the USB protocol is to blame?
Proud Carmageddon player since 1997[/b]
I love shoot'em ups. I love arcade games. I love 2D games.

fragment

yeah, i noticed that when using this awesome PS1 arcade stick that I made and was playing some MAME capcom games. It really sucks! I will eventually make a PC joystick, just figuring which direction to go for the interface (hack a keyboard, MS Sidewinder, etc).

NFG

That USB adaptor is known to be buggy, but apparently only when using the Saturn pad.  It's bad programming, nothing more.

I've heard there are revisions without this lag, but I can't confirm it.

TuZhao

Damn, how unlucky I am! I built my own arcade stick for Saturn and I would be happy to use it on my PC... So now I have to build a saturn->gameport adapter or find another converter :(
Effectively I tried with a PS2 DualShock pad and it seems fine. Although some games won't recognize correctly the left analog stick.
I think I kinda wasted my money on it...

Scared0o0Rabbit

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't directpad (or one of it's current incarnations) have support for saturn pads?

Feeling Scared? ^_~

TuZhao

I don't know much about Directpad. According to some info I found it does support Saturn pads, even the analog one! :)

benzaldehyde

Yup, Direct Pad Pro is the way to go...

<Smashes head into a wall.>

I've gotten the analog to work just fine. The only thing I can't do is get proper power to completely power two controllers (the 2nd player L button won't work in my case) or the arcade stick. There is no lag, even on my old-ass 200MHz Pentium. Well, that was until my parallel port blew out... stupid scanner...

You can always use an XBox controller directly; it's a USB pad with a different form connector. An adapter is all you need, and no extra encoding to the USB bus is necessary.

TuZhao

I need a Saturn converter/adapter because I built my own huge arcade stick out of a Saturn pad (the Saturn is my favourite console), and I thought I could use it even for playing with some emulators on the PC.
Moreover, I don't think the XBox pads are *that* good. At first I liked them because they were very similar to the Dreamcast's. But the keys have a weird feel and the analog stick is way worse than the one on the DC pad.
In the end, the Saturn 3D pad is still the best for me :)