Haunted SNES

Started by BuckoA51, January 08, 2004, 05:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuckoA51

Hi everyone

Having browsed the internet, you guys seem the most knowlegable, so, please enlighten me on this problem. Now before I go any further I swear on my mothers life I`m not making this up.

I have a collection of games consoles (SNES, Saturn, PS2, Megadrive + Mega CD) all hooked up to a RGB scart block that auto switches between them, supposedly when you turn the power on. Now, here is the weird part, say I turn my SATURN on, well, then the SNES switches its self on too! The little red light comes on and whatever game happens to be in the slot starts playing. It gets weirder, even if i TOTALLY DISCONNECT the SNES from the mains, it STILL stays on!!

I have noticed when using another console that frequently the power LED`s on the other consoles glow slightly, I am beginning to worry that using the auto switch scart block is not good for my consoles health, or at worst that these things are not even electrically safe. Can anyone confirm or deny this? If anyone wants to know the model its the one thats available from http://www.divineo.co.uk/ (under video/cables, then right at the bottom of the page)

I hope someone can help me with this, it is the strangest problem I`ve ever encountered in all my time as a gamer!

davidleeroth

This is a common problem and it usually doesn't get noticed until a SNES is plugged in.  ;)
The pin 8 on your SCART connector carries the voltage which enables the tv to switch to RGB-channel the moment a console is powered up. This same automatic feature carries the voltage to SNES which then powers up (not fully though).

The cure is to rip out the pin 8 from your SNES SCART lead and switch the channel manually. Or you could try solder a appropriate diode to the pin.

Personally I don't like these automatic switchboxes as they tend to degrade the image quality as well.

MY snes powers up fully I assure you :)

The picture seems to be good through the auto switch box provided every other appliance is switched off fully, not even left on standby. Perhaps you can recommend a good manual switch box with a LOT of inputs ??

Thanks for your help, by the way, is there any danger to my consoles?

davidleeroth

QuoteMY snes powers up fully I assure you :)
That's new, mine only gives sound and a very faint picture.

Anyways, I haven't seen switchboxes with more than 4 RGB inputs. You could try link them or you could buy one manual switch and use the auto switch in one of it's inputs (and connect all non-stan-by consoles trough it).

I made a 11->1 RGB switchbox myself. It's tedious work involving a lot of soldering and isn't particulary cheap but at least I made it myself and it works g'dammit.
I'll be adding few inputs to it soon to cover my new batch of consoles.  :)

QuoteThanks for your help, by the way, is there any danger to my consoles?
I don't think there's any imminent danger, although it doesn't do them any good either.

phreak97

does that mean you can power a snes off its av port?
and is it safe to do so?
i mean i know you said it isnt really bad for it but you didnt sound too sure

dum dum

powering consoles by feeding power into the 5volt line of the av socket.. i cant help but think this should be avoided as not only is it bypassing the consoles own regulators etc and using the 'master' console to make sure the supply is clean, the like, youre also asking the console thats doing the powering to go above and beyond its intended supply ability..

are consoles designed to eat for two?