Progressive vs RGB Projection Display

Started by jake, January 04, 2004, 06:10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jake

I've been trying for some time now with no success to connect progressive devices to my Epson Powerlite 7350 LCD Projector. Native 1024x768 (links below)

Whenever I set either my PS2(with newer games and switching on boot) or my progressive scan DVD player ( Toshiba sd-3750) to progressive mode, My projector drops to a no signal mode, displaying a blue screen and refusing to accept there is anything plugged into the BNC connectors.

The 7350 has 5 bnc connectors on the back. There is a dipswitch that I believe changes the mode from the 5 connection to Sync on Green. When I have both the 7350 and the ps2 set to Y/cr/rb and my ps2 monster component cable plugged in(using 3 little bnc adapters). I do get a picture and I can play this way as long as I don't switch any games into progressive mode. Once I do that, the projector goes on strike. I have tried the aforementioned dip switch in both positions, obviously it only works when it is set for three connectors and not the full 5 bnc connectors( v+h sync)

The 7350 does support rgb mode, however if I switch it to that, the picture gets all nasty green, and switching the ps2 mode to rgb at the same time results in no picture, probably because I am using a component and not rgb cable.

My DVD player gives me no love at all when in progressive mode(works fine in s-video mode though). I can only get that nasty green screen if I switch the projector to rgb, y/cr/cb gives me "no input"

At this point I'm pretty stuck. I  think maybe the 7350 doesn't like the the refresh or sync rates coming from the devices I am plugging into it, or maybe when they say it supports all the neat modes it does, it only works through the vga port?

1. If anyone sees anything I can do differently please tell me

It would seem I am destined to buy and XRGB2 Plus at this point.

2. If I run component from my ps2 to xrgb2+, sometimes it will be sending progressive and sometimes not. Does the xrgb2+ care? will it try to deinterlace an already progressive signal?

3. Should I build an RGB cable for the ps2 to connect to the xrgb2+, or will the monster component cable be better?

Thanks for any help in advance.
-Jake

-7350 Specs-
Now in my projector manual, it states that it supports most formats and resolutions. There is a quick spec sheet here. It seems to have pretty extensive support.

files.support.epson.com/pdf/pl7350/pl7350sl.pdf

The full Manual is here:

files.support.epson.com/pdf/pl5350/pl5350u1.pdf

Well the only thing i got out of reading the manual is about .2khz on the horizontal sync could be your problem. But that would be a very poor projector in my opinion if that was the was the case.

I havent read any where in the manual saying your projector can handle sync on green in progressive mode or at all. Why dont u try striping the sync off of green and seperate it into H/V and the try hooking ur Ps2 throught the 15 pin d-sub. Along with building a component -> RGB for ur progressive scan DVD and using the 15 pin d-sub as well. Then it might work.