News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

BOUNTY: Optical Mods

Started by Shou, May 14, 2008, 11:00:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shou

As a means to encourage the discovery/publication of certain mods, I am willing to put money where my mouth is and offer a modern game (Wii/PS2/PS3/360) of your choice + cost for parts if you can provide me with an optical mod and working specs for one of the following consoles:

NO A->D CONVERSIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED!

3DO FZ-1
AV Famicom
Mark III
Mega Drive 1 + Mega CD + 32X (needs to all work but doesn't seem possible)
Neo Geo AES (heard that only A>D is possible but not the real thing)
Neo Geo CDZ
Nintendo 64
PC Engine (more specifically Super Grafx and Super CD-ROM)
Wii
become history

NFG

Since most of these systems output fully-formed analogue audio from chips, there's nowhere on the board to tap a digital signal.  Short of replacing these chips with custom units, there's no way to do what you ask. 

Shou

Quote from: Lawrence on May 14, 2008, 01:03:58 PM
Since most of these systems output fully-formed analogue audio from chips, there's nowhere on the board to tap a digital signal.  Short of replacing these chips with custom units, there's no way to do what you ask. 

Can you specifically say which ones? I know for the AES and MD1 that's how it is but I am hoping one of the various models is different.
become history

NFG

The PC Engine sound generator's part of the CPU, there's no sound chip for the N64, so it's internal somewhere too.  The Famicoms have internal sound too. 

l_oliveira

It might be possible to build a digital converter board for the YM2610 chip (Neo Geo AES and MVS) with a CPLD. It does output serial PCM but in a Yamaha proprietary (and usually chip specific) format. That digital stream goes to the small 16 pin Yamaha chip that is usually close to the A/V portion of the Neo (YM3016)

The Neo Geo CD outputs I2S PCM on both it's custom YM2610 variation of audio chip and the CD-Rom drive. The only issue would be having to mix them before sending to the toshlink/spdif encoder. The NGCD has two D/A chips and the mixing is analogic. A digital mixer inside the custom YM2610 chip would be much cheaper (all consoles since the Saturn and Playstation do it)

Nintendo 64 has a I2S stream coming out of the RCP chip, just like the SNES had. This one is probably feasible.
3DO FZ-1 has a Asahi D/A chip, again I2S. 100% possible. (I don't have one to try it though)

panzeroceania

what about the Mark III and it's FM chip?