Simple(?) SNES Mods...

Started by Lord_Magus, June 23, 2004, 06:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord_Magus

I know this is probably basic stuff, but I have had no experience working with electronics or console modding before. In theory I know what must be done, but I would appreciate it if anyone had any pointers or things I should take into consideration before implementing these mods.

Firstly, I would like to replace the standard red led with a blue one. Any things I should keep in mind when doing this, so I dont end up frying the console or anything?  :o

Secondly, and I dont know if this is actually possible, but I would like to get the audio signal(probably from AV out?) from the console and insert a headphone jack on the side. The only info I have found about this was at this site:
http://alpha-ii.com/caitsith2/snes/headphone.htm
but if refers to the early SNES versions only.

Any help\suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)  

NFG

QuoteI would like to replace the standard red led with a blue one.  Any things I should keep in mind?
The long leg is the positive one, if you put it in backwards it won't work.

QuoteI would like to get the audio signal from the console and insert a headphone jack on the side.
There are many ways to make a headphone mod, that one you showed is probably the most ludicrously simple one imaginable.  If the idea of a non-volume-controlled headphone port excites you, you can apply that same mod to a Saturn easily.

Lord_Magus

Thanks for the info Lawrence - I'll keep that in mind  ;)

About the headphones, I would like to make them volume-controlled. The problem is that the info on that site refers to the earlier SNES releases, which had an additional sound module not included in the ones produced later.
Any ideas on how I could do a similar mod to the newer models?

NFG

Since he doesn't say otherwise it seems to me he's only pulling L+R audio off those pins, both of which are also present on the AV Multi-Out port.  Get it from there.

atom

What were talking about here is line level audio. This means it is at a very low strength which has the least chance for distortion and then your television amplifies it. What you are talking about is using a headphone without any amplification which will be very quiet and stuck at that volume. What you need is an amp!

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/cate...MP-3&type=store
is a cheap low powered amp good for microphones.
Only problem is that it is mono so youd have to combine your signals or use two amps.

Now this is the part where you stop and think for a moment, is there any point to this?
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

hmm... I think you're right Atom; it seems like too much of a hassle for something of so little importance. I might try it out sometime in the future - purely for educational purposes - but for now it has been removed from my modding priorities list ;)

Thanks anyway for the info guys, keep up the good work  :)  

Lord_Magus

That was me up there - forgot to log in ;)

Dramlin

Hey im very interested in doing ANY mods to my super nintendo. I currently own 2 normal ones and 5 mini ones so it doesn't really mater what version the mods are for but the only mods ive seen are the 2 listed in this topic, 50/60, and rgb.

Does anyone know of ANY other mods I can do to the system? I would love to pimp out atleast 1 of my 7 consoles. thanks

ps. Im also interested in modding my 64 but ive only seen 3 mods for it (Overclock, change the led, rgb..) Any others? thanks

phreak97

Dramlin: please pm me, i would like to ask you about something..

as for amps, why dont you find some old pc speakers somewhere that you never use anymore, rip the pcb out  then use that as your amp, itll be stereo, complete with volume control and an on/off switch you can either include or not include depending on your needs, you will however need a dc amp, not an ac one, unless you have a pal snes, those have ac transformers. you can also wire the jack so that the sound going to the tv will cut out when you plug in headphones.
and best of all: its cheap! you could get a pair of those old battery powered speakers for almost nothing..  

jacosloof

Seen this yet?

This dude does some amazing things to NES/SNES/PSX/Atari2600 consoles..

see 4 yourself!

Benjamin J. Heckendorn's "Make all consoles Portable" Site

I know I want 1.. Or 2..

NFG

With all due respect to his work, it's not really anything any of us would have trouble with if we had access to the same $200,000 computer-controlled router he uses.  Most of us would have done better too - the SNES cart slot is removable FFS, why didn't he tilt it 90 degrees so the carts didn't stick straight out like that?

Scared0o0Rabbit

radio shack has a headphone splitter thing they sell for something like $20, after you strip the plastic off of it, you can use it to amp headphones.  I've used one of those in a saturn before.

Feeling Scared? ^_~

phreak97

as far as i was aware, snes cart slots are soldered in.. although if he was going to spend the time on that he could have desoldered it..
nes slots are removable, n64 slots are too.. but i think the snes slots are fixed

hellbelly

I thought snes cart slots are push on too?  I'm sure I remember forgetting to put the 2 screws either side back in and accidentaly pulling it off when i removed the game cart.

Then having to replace the fuse which i blew...

Pete