PAL games on a NTSC Playstation

Started by Guest who, April 03, 2006, 10:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guest who

I've got a couple of PAL PSX games that I want to play. I've got an import modchip installed so the games will run, however the games roll up the screen and they are in black and white. What I'm looking for is a way to get the games to play correctly. What sort of modification could I do to get the games running properly?

you will need either TV that understand PAL signal or PAL->NTSC converter box...

Guest who

Are those my only options? I know a PAL to NTSC converter probably wouldn't work because even those require a TV set that accepts a 50hz signal, and I'm sure mine does not take that. Also, a new TV is WAY out of my budget.

i'm afraid so
even with DebugStation you will still get PAL signal out of PAL disc...
you need telly that understands PAL signals or something that can translate into NTSC-60

unless the PAL disc has the PAL60 option and you telly does accept that...

Endymion

Actually that is not the only option.

European TVs use PAL signals, so do their PS2s. American TVs use NTSC, so their PS2s.

Systems from either continent can use RGB however, and RGB is neither PAL nor NTSC. There is no colourbursting going on at all, so a PAL PS2 game will play properly with proper graphics when viewed on an NTSC PS2 via RGB.

That's yet another reason we like RGB around here. I have to wonder though, just what kind of mod chip do you have that isn't forcing the proper video mode that you need? Have you explored that at all?

Guest who

The RGB idea sounds good to me, but I currently only have my crappy samsung TV. I'll look into getting an RGB monitor, but I'm still disapointed that I can't play on my regular TV set.

The modchip I use is an older one that plugs into the Paralel port on the back of the Playstation. It says "ACTION REPLAY high tech option series" on the front of the unit along with some chinese looking leters. The chips menu says RIDER gold finger ver.2.32.  If there is a video mode option for this thing, I don't know how to set it.

Anyway, thank you all for your help, I realy appreciate it.

Midori

QuoteSystems from either continent can use RGB however, and RGB is neither PAL nor NTSC. There is no colourbursting going on at all, so a PAL PS2 game will play properly with proper graphics when viewed on an NTSC PS2 via RGB.

That is not true, at least completly. The Hz DOES matter, the RGB just corrects the colour problem, the console will still output 50 Hz with a PAL game no matter what cable you're using and if your TV doesn't support 50 Hz then you will still get a rolling picture.

QuoteActually that is not the only option.

European TVs use PAL signals, so do their PS2s. American TVs use NTSC, so their PS2s.

Systems from either continent can use RGB however, and RGB is neither PAL nor NTSC. There is no colourbursting going on at all, so a PAL PS2 game will play properly with proper graphics when viewed on an NTSC PS2 via RGB.

That's yet another reason we like RGB around here. I have to wonder though, just what kind of mod chip do you have that isn't forcing the proper video mode that you need? Have you explored that at all?
I understood that the original poster has rather old NTSC TV that does NOT have RGB input... ?

Endymion

QuoteThat is not true, at least completly. The Hz DOES matter, the RGB just corrects the colour problem, the console will still output 50 Hz with a PAL game no matter what cable you're using and if your TV doesn't support 50 Hz then you will still get a rolling picture.

For the benefit of the PAL folks--there are no TVs here that run RGB, hence, no TV solution he is ever likely to see will run 50 or 60Hz RGB. RGB monitors on the other hand routinely sync easily--even ones made specifically for the NTSC market going way back have been made with this in mind.

QuoteI understood that the original poster has rather old NTSC TV that does NOT have RGB input... ?

Uh, yeah, and I just gave him one real good reason to GET an RGB monitor, capitch? We routinely get questions from folks here asking "why do you go through all the trouble to do this?" Well it's not that much trouble, if you do it right you may only need to set up a workable solution once, then you can play til your set up dies, and look at all the problems it solves on top of the inherent quality?

Other stuff: the Pro Action Replay is really just that, a GameShark-alike that allows for setting modes including regionals. Not really a mod-chip at all. The real mod-chip dev in the past five years has happened for the PS2; they are still out there, but it is hard to get good information on serious mod-chips for the PS1 these days. I recommend DMS4 Pro in the way of PS2 mod-chips, it pretty much does everything you need automatically but includes options to force video modes.

Midori

QuoteFor the benefit of the PAL folks--there are no TVs here that run RGB, hence, no TV solution he is ever likely to see will run 50 or 60Hz RGB. RGB monitors on the other hand routinely sync easily--even ones made specifically for the NTSC market going way back have been made with this in mind.

Ah, now I see. I've mostly used Arcade Monitors and PAL TVs, excuse my lack of knowledge about your average american RGB monitors. I thought they only supported 60 Hz(by default).

ido8bit

If you PSX is already moded you check if there is a PAL/NTSC selector available for the games you want to play.  These add a menu/intro that loads before the game starts allowing you to select NTSC even if the game is PAL, many also add cheat options.  If you can find a working version for your games it would be the cheapest way to play them in color on your current TV.

Otherwise, one of the Gameshark/Action Replay clones I have does have an option to set PAL/NTSC in the main menu.  Even with an RGB monitor it's useful to force PAL games into 60Hz fullscreen.  From memory it's labeled GameXpert (it's been a while since I've seen it), but it's probably sold under other names.  If you can still find one they're probably pretty cheap by now.  

Guest_Martin

QuoteActually that is not the only option.

And actually, PS1 PAL games will still display in 50Hz even with RGB.
He will get rolling colour image instead of a B+W one.

-Martin-

The cheat discs that allow you to force 60Hz sometimes cut the image off at the top and bottom if the game is full screen 50Hz only!

FM-77

The only solution is to get a PS2 with a DMS4 mod chip (doesn't matter which one). With it you can force 60Hz on your PAL PS1 games.

However, many PAL PS1 games won't run in 60Hz since they're converted to run properly in 50Hz. You'll get a rolling picture and out-of-sync videos.