Mega Drive 50/60Hz switch NO LONGER working!

Started by FM-77, May 21, 2006, 01:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FM-77

I have the oddest problem with my PAL Mega Drive II. A few months ago I modded it (installed a 50/60Hz switch and a Jap/Eng one). I used this guide.

Playing it 50 and 60Hz worked perfectly with the switch. No problems at all.

However, recently the switch completely stopped working. Can't switch over to 60Hz. I thought one of the cables might have been faulty so I replaced them. No luck.

Then I tried to "manually" switch over to 60Hz -- putting a +5V wire on leg 107. NOTHING happens!

I wanted to clarify if my +5V point is working, so I connected it to ground briefly and the unit resets, just like always. Conclusion: there's nothing wrong with my +5V source either.

[size=8]Yes, I KNOW you aren't supposed to connect +5V to ground, but I've done it with many systems and nothing bad has ever happened. The only thing that happens is that it resets the console. Of course, I've never actually CONNECTED +5V to ground, but just made them touch each other for a quarter of a second.[/size]

What in the world could be the cause of this? I mean -- it worked perfectly up until recently, so there can't be anything wrong with my mod, right?

This is a picture of my mod -- see? I've tapped pin 107 just as I'm supposed to. +5V has been tapped from just below it. Any other +5V source that I could try? Just for the heck of it?

The only possible answer I could think of is that the chip is broken somehow. But the system works great! Any ideas what the problem might be, or how to solve it?

Thanks in advance!

NFG

That's a weird one.  If everything you say is true, it should work just fine.

FM-77

Is it possible that "part of" the chip can stop working? Something that controls the video output or something of that nature. Or would that cause the entire machine to stop working?

viletim!

It's possible to kill a single input (or output) of a chip that otherwise works fine. One way you can check is using a multimeter to measure the resistance between ground and the 50/60Hz input, then compare the resistance with that of another digital input (disconnect it first). If they're wildly different then you've likely killed something.

cd_breaker

Hi all,

I am seeking some help with a problem i had while doing the us/jp mod to my Genesis II. I checked the info on gamesx and then this guide, which i followed:
http://www.mikeg2.freeserve.co.uk/masterful/md2lang.html

Now, I succesfully ran my jp Virtua Racing on my Genesis II, but the joypads' button mapping became weird, with the Start button no longer working where it should; now the C button acts both as C and Start at the same time, and the Start button doesn't work at all. Haven't checked X,Y and Z, but i'm guessing they are ok. The D-pad works ok, A and B too, i guess. (not that i can be 100% sure that A is A and B is B now, since i tested it with a Sonic 3 cart. Not the best choice, but the only one i had at the time besides Virtua Racing, which wouldn't start when i pressed the "C+Start" button >_<''')

So anyway, any ideas? I appreciate any help you could give me; posted this here since I didn't want to make an entire new topic of this. I hope you're ok with it.

Thanks for your time =)

-Martin-

Did you ever switch your switch while the console was on?
If the switches used were not Break Before Make (BBM) type switches then they may create a small short between 5V and GND while you switch, which after a while, can kill your chip if you do it often.

Or you could have simeply used on/off switches with no grounding, which would avoid this problem although your console may behave a bit odly as a result...

atom

Only thing I can imagine at all would be oxidation. And I doubt that. Sure, certain parts of a chip can malfunction, but the odds of the only thing breaking being your mod are next to impossible. What type of solder are you using? Acid or Rosin core? I used the wrong kind once and couldnt figure out what was wrong.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

FM-77

Rosin core. Like I mentioned before -- the mod worked for a while (about a month) but then it just died. Been using the same solder for everything and I haven't had any problems with it.