SCSIFORMAT and MO Drives

Started by costa, February 11, 2015, 09:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

costa

I ´ve got one MO Drive to play around, and have it recognised by the X68000.
I am using the SCSIFORMAT to format a disk, looks like it can format it correctly.
However, after it finishes formatting (takes a long time), it returns to the option to select the ID (0~7) or Quit... no option to create partition.

Booting, the disk is assigned correctly as D: but I can not use it because it cannot be formed (format.x d:).
When I turn off the computer, it is ejected just like floppies.

Is there a different procedure to format MO Drive?
What driver is more appropriate to use in the config.sys for these drives ?

eidis

Hi Costa !

Use XM6 TypeG to create the image and then restore it to physical media.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

costa

Quote from: eidis on February 13, 2015, 04:54:42 AM
Hi Costa !

Use XM6 TypeG to create the image and then restore it to physical media.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

But this way you are supposing I can write MO disk under Windows, right?
Indeed, I have a USB MO Drive, but when restoring a image to a disk under a Windows XP VM, it complains that the drive is being used! S I cannot actually write MO Disks under Windows... just yet.

It seems I am very close to have it working under the 68000... just missing something....

eidis

X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

costa

Thanks, Eidis.
I will give it a try... hopefully it will make it.

rano_yuki

Hello costa's.

In order to use the MO disk in both Windows and X68000, you must be formatted with "IBM Format" format the MO in the X68000 side (or "semi IBM Format" format).
To use the "IBM Format", you can format the MO with free software such as MOfmt.r and FIM.x. When would formatted with FORMAT.X X68000 it would be in the form of a dedicated (Human68k only), you will not be able to use on both Windows and X68000.
When is MOF201.lzh that eidis's have been introduced, for formats that can be caused by Human68k only format, it is recommended that you use the MOfmt.r and FIM.x is an IBM format dedicated formatter.

Note that if the current MO drive but is of as being recognized by the X68000, Will have to recognize and use any drivers? the normal is when MO drive in order to assign as a logical drive to X68000, use the driver called susie.x. How to use
susie.x -id [0-6] [a-z]:
Of way, you will be able to use by specifying the logical drive that you want to assign a SCSI ID of the MO drive to run from the command line. It should be noted that it is that it goes without saying, but please already do not assign a used logical drive.

When we tested whether the media format the MO in Windows7 in my environment can be recognized by the X68000, You have postscript that it can be recognized correctly if you use a susie.x.

MOfmt.r ver. 1.06
http://nfggames.com/x68000/Mirrors/x68pub/x68tools/DISK/MO/MOFMT106.LZH

susie 1.19A
http://nfggames.com/x68000/Mirrors/x68pub/x68tools/DISK/SCSI/sse_119a.lzh

(This post has been translated into English using Google Translate a document that was written in Japanese.)

costa

rano_yuki,

thanks for all the info you wrote here.
I will make good use of this info.

however, at this time it seems that my drive has a problem... when a run format.x it ejects the disk right away without formatting it.
I will be receiving another MO drive soon, so I can cross check if the drive is bad or if there is something else.
I tried the tools indicated by Eidis, plus formar and scsiformat, and none worked out.

is this tool MOfmt.r doing something different? I will give it a try also.

about using the IBM format, the problem is that I want to boot from the MO Drive... so I guess I will need the Human format, is that correct?

rano_yuki

Hello costa.

Had been challenged, either was the OS boot from the MO disk.
It is unfortunate, but as far as I know, OS boot is available in a standard machine from the MO disk you X68030 and X68030 Compact only. X68000 XVI (CZ-634C, CZ-644C, CZ-674C) in the previous machine, it is not possible to OS boot from the MO disk If you do not use a fairly tricky way.

For reference, the Web page is "X68000 LIBRARY" in Japanese, I will introduce the URL of the page that "ch30_omake.sys" has been published.

ch30_omake.sys | X68000 LIBRARY
http://retropc.net/x68000/software/hardware/xellent30/ch30_omake/index.htm

This program seems to improved version of the program that had been attached to the expansion card (MPU accelerator board) is "Xellent30" series for the X68000 series. Extension ".sys" But not the device driver, it is SRAM-resident program. To reside to SARM will need to use it the "Xellent30" series had been attached "ch30inst.x". Since most of those who do not have said that, you can use the debugger if you really want to install. Some of the above URL "supplementary explanation", the installation procedure using the debugger has been described in Japanese.

In the "X68000 LIBRARY" can be downloaded from "CH30X215.LZH" I contains the instructions of the text file called "ch30_omake.doc". Some of the files you will find reference to "support of direct boot from the MO drive". All because it is described in Japanese of course, please use while translated into English by using, for example, Google translation.

By the way, I wonder if the debugger is good at this?
http://nfggames.com/x68000/Mirrors/x68pub/x68tools/PROGRAM/DEBUG/DB.Lzh

To "X68000 LIBRARY" is a sharp genuine C compiler also page of "C Compiler PRO-68K ver2.1 (XC)", there debugger also in the of "XC2101.LZH" file can be downloaded from (DB.X ) are entered. Please choose whichever you like.

C Compiler PRO-68K ver2.1 (XC) | X68000 LIBRARY
http://retropc.net/x68000/software/sharp/xc21/index.htm

The following is the answer to your question. I will answer from high-priority ones.

(1)
> I want to boot from the MO Drive ... so I guess I will need the Human format, is that correct?

In this regard, it is your guess as expected.

(2)
> Is this tool MOfmt.r doing something different?

"MOfmt.r" is an IBM format dedicated program. The last line of the first questions contents
> Is there a different procedure to format MO Drive?
> What driver is more appropriate to use in the config.sys for these drives?

In that there is, also the third post
> I can write MO disk under Windows, right?

Since has been described as, it is up to that for which I have misunderstood When I asked how to use the MO drive with both Windows and X68000, was to introduce the IBM format dedicated program. In Japan, MO drive (and MO disk) used in X68000 mainly because it is often used for data exchange, I be a IBM format or semi IBM format was most. MO drive standard also, for was something that was enacted after the launch of the X68000, user side had no idea used for the OS boot.
As applications easily do Human68k format to the MO disk, is better to format to specify the MOFORMAT.R the "/ H" option in the "MOF201.lzh" is more appropriate. After you have assigned the MO drive to a logical drive using the susie.x, you may want to use the MOFORMAT.R. This is performed only logical format, I can divert the formatted MO disk in Windows. However MO disk of Human68k specification so you will not be able to recognize In Windows, the caution that point.
After formatting is complete it would be may be transferred to the FAT was continuously the HUMAN.SYS in SYS command. It seems to be or may be copied from the later COMMAND.X for shell. It For more environment construction, to your liking.

It has become long, but it is more.

(This post has been translated into English using Google Translate a document that was written in Japanese.)

netwalka

Quote from: rano_yuki on February 26, 2015, 11:10:08 PM

Had been challenged, either was the OS boot from the MO disk.
It is unfortunate, but as far as I know, OS boot is available in a standard machine from the MO disk you X68030 and X68030 Compact only. X68000 XVI (CZ-634C, CZ-644C, CZ-674C) in the previous machine, it is not possible to OS boot from the MO disk If you do not use a fairly tricky way.

For reference, the Web page is "X68000 LIBRARY" in Japanese, I will introduce the URL of the page that "ch30_omake.sys" has been published.

ch30_omake.sys | X68000 LIBRARY
http://retropc.net/x68000/software/hardware/xellent30/ch30_omake/index.htm

This program seems to improved version of the program that had been attached to the expansion card (MPU accelerator board) is "Xellent30" series for the X68000 series. Extension ".sys" But not the device driver, it is SRAM-resident program. To reside to SARM will need to use it the "Xellent30" series had been attached "ch30inst.x". Since most of those who do not have said that, you can use the debugger if you really want to install. Some of the above URL "supplementary explanation", the installation procedure using the debugger has been described in Japanese.

Maybe... ch30_omake.sys will help booting from MO,
By the way, unfortunately, this S-RAM reside driver eat up whole S-RAM space.
So, no other application like SXSI or something like that try to reside in S-RAM will corrupt ch30_omake.sys' environment and S-RAM clearance is needed in the end.
Please, check out this point.

Though this is out of the questions, setting up ch30_omake.sys in the S-RAM successfully will make some special effect. ;)
whenever X68000 boot up, you are gonna see a BIG and Beautiful logo in a full screen. ;D