I need some pics of pots please

Started by Micjohvan, December 05, 2004, 10:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Micjohvan

Hi everyone im new here and I need some help.  I recently picked up a used sega saturn at a local thrift shop.  When i tryed it at my house it didnt work (didnt have vid cables had to order them off ebay)  The disks would not spin.  After testing the motors with a 9v and finding them in working condidtion I cleaned the lense and got it to play a music cd.  However after that it wouldnt play again.  Even cleaning it again didnt help. So I looked to the internet and found that adjusting the pots can help.  I tryed the pots and have had no luck.  It has never worked since.  It keeps doing random things.  Like once the laser might work, then with a adjustment it wont work and the disk will spin.  Anyway I think if I adjust the pots to what they were I may have a better chance.  I need someone to open up a ntsc saturn and just take a few pics of the pots on the pcb and tall pot.  They could even paint them (with mspaint) and it would help.  Please dont tell me to buy another as I already have ordered 2 from ebay.  They wont be here for another 2 weeks though :(    My big deal is I want to be able to fix them so If it happens again on another saturn I can fix it.  I hate having stuff I cannot fix myself.  THanks for any help or ideas you can offer me.
Megaman >  You

NFG

I never mess with the pots.  They require sensitive instruments to adjust properly.  Go buy a new Saturn, is my advice.

dum dum

probably a bad laser when you got the thing.
discs wont spin up if the machine doesnt believe a disc is present, which is determined by the laser looking at the disc before spining it - notice how drive spindles never spin up without a disc present?

Aidan

The laser and assosiated adjustments are done on a per machine basis. The adjustments are there to adjust out manufacturing imperfections. As this is highly dependant on the machine itself, there are no fixed settings.

If you want to realign the system, you will require a suitable test CD and an oscilloscope to view the eye pattern from the various tests on the CD. This would allow you to realign the parts you've put out of alignment with your adjustments.

To be honest, it sounds more like the machine had a fault with an intermittent connection.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]