SCART RGB with XRGB2+

Started by ChinMoney, February 03, 2008, 01:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChinMoney

I have been playing with and ISCAN+ for videogames and it does an alright job but I want to try an XRGB2 or 2+ for use with my SNES and SATURN on my LCD.

I know that to get the best picture from XRGB you should use the RGB ins, however I am in US and it is hard to get my hands on Jap 21-pin RGB cables for the systems that output RGB.  I read that SCART RGB can not work naitively with XRGB 2+ however you can rewire them to jap 21 Pin design.

I guess my question is for someone with no experience how would be the best way to do something like that?  I looked at the tech info for the SCART and Jap 21 Pin RGB cables and is it a simple rewire?  Cause not all of the wires seems to align up exactly with a wire from the other kind.

Is there any beginner tutorials I could read to get a hand on some of this stuff?  While I have no prior knowledge it cant be too difficult can it?  I have no tech experience but I am somewhat mechanically handy but no electrical knowledge.

ChinMoney

Ok I found this -

"Q: Can i use an european SCART cable in this item? (2003-11-02)

Not directly, as this will damage the input port. You can build an adapter though. You need a 21-pin cable with a socket on one end, which should have the European pinout, and a plug on the other, which should have the Japanese pinout. The pins connected should be as follows: Signal EU (socket) JP (plug) Red 15 15 Red Ground 13 13 Green 11 19 Green Ground 9 17 Blue 7 20 Blue Ground 5 18 Sync 20 9 Sync Ground 17 7 Left Audio 6 5 Left Ground 4 3 Right Audio 2 1 Right Ground 4 3 +5v 16 16 Ground 21 21 Any pins not mentioned are not used - it does not matter if they are connected or not as long as they do not interfere with the above connections. The European SCART lead then plugs into the socket on the adaptor lead, and the adaptor lead's plug is attached to the X-RGB2+. Once again, do *not* plug a European SCART lead directly into the unit as you *will* damage it. (2004-03-17)"

This is sort of what I was looking for, I found the SCART Male to Female extension on EBAY and I think I might try it.  What is teh +5V?  Is that something that needs to be added or is it already in the cable.  Excuse my ignrance, Im sure I sound like a fool.  Thanks.

NeWmAn

Quote from: ChinMoney on February 04, 2008, 08:19:24 AM
What is teh +5V?  Is that something that needs to be added or is it already in the cable

Some of the pins of the Scart connector carry a voltage from the game console to the TV set, so once you power the console the TV changes to RGB mode.
Check the wiki : http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:scart_connector