Intellivision II "Red" Issue

Started by gar3, August 05, 2009, 12:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gar3

Hi all - This may be a long shot but if anyone has any info or knows of another place to ask about this I would be eternally grateful ;D

After calibrating a friend's new HDTV his wife presented me with her like-new Intellivision II, Intellivoice and nine or so games. The problem with the console is the color red itself "disappears" after the first five or six seconds after a cold start. After hooking everything up, whenever I power on the console the games appear normal and then after a few seconds the video starts to loose synch and the color red is "washed" away leaving only green and blue on screen (mostly blue). It is very apparent in Burgertime where the title name itself goes from yellow to blue.

Now a weird thing is if I restart the console right away or even if I let it sit for a few minutes the red will not return. I have to let the system off for at least ten minutes before the color red will return, again, for only the first five or six seconds. I'm not familiar with Intellivision consoles at all I'm afraid. Could this be due to a pin popping off the board from 27 years of use? Like when the console warms up a pin or pins are no longer making contact? I'm really at a loss. A search of Google didn't bring up any leads but if anyone here knows of a good Intellivision site where I could ask this same question that would be helpful as well.

Tried on two different TVs
Tried with both the official r/f adapter as well as an r/f-BNC-composite adapter/cable

I found the mod for the entire internal r/f modulator on an original Intellivision:

http://www.intvfunhouse.com/tech/rfmod/

But I truly do not know if this would solve my problem. I'm going to send an e-mail over to Steven Orth who runs that INTVFunHouse site but since he hasn't updated since 2004, well, I thought I'd better ask here first, heh. Thanks for your time.

gar3

Was able to trackdown a pdf of the service manual for the Intellivision II:

http://www.lukesandel.com/videogames/Mattel/Intellivision/INTV2-Service-Manual.pdf

This'll certainly speed things up ;D