Sega Saturn CD lens problem

Started by Fix_Metal, January 18, 2009, 10:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fix_Metal

Hello all. I took my Saturn out of the closet to play some old fashioned games.
It didn't work. CD player would not read any CD.

After several tries, I found out that if I put the optical unit vertically, it reads. If I put it horizontally (as it should be used), it cannot read.

Any hints on how to fix this?

kendrick

My first thought is that the ribbon cable that follows the lens mechanism up and down the rails needs to be reseated. This is actually more common on Saturns, since the mod chip was installed in a way that intercepted this cable. If it's loose or otherwise crooked, gravity might temporarily fix the problem in an odd position.

Fix_Metal

just deoxed and re-seated both lens and cd-unit ribbon cables, it hasn't worked

ken_cinder

Tido didn't take me up on the offer, so now I will extend it to you.

I have a complete drive I will sell on the cheap. Put it away as it came out of a unit, and was working when I pulled it, I just don't need it.

Fix_Metal

I am from Italy and I'd need a Model2 saturn unit.
I'll try to check if lens focus is alright.
Send me a pm with a price and shipping (if it's the right CD unit)
thx

ken_cinder

Model type doesn't really help, not all units were 20 or 21 pin simply based on model judging by the buttons. There were some cross-bred(hehe) units that were still 20 pin but in oval button cases.

How many pins is your unit? (Count the pins from the solder side, it's easier) The drive I have is 21 pin, so on general consensus a model 2 drive.

Fix_Metal

Mine is 21 pins too.
It has written on its side: "ASSY CD UNIT SAT JVC EXL-P605"

ken_cinder

This is the EXACT same unit then, exactly the same assembly number.

"610-6185-20" stamped directly above that?

Fix_Metal

Quote"610-6185-20" stamped directly above that?
Yes  ;D

ken_cinder

If you want it, PM me and let me know what it's worth to you. I'll get you a shipping quote ASAP.

I don't know what to ask for it, and I can't find spares anywhere to judge a fair price. I have a power supply board with it from the same unit, so I'll throw that in for you too for the hell of it as it's no use to me over here, we use 110v 60hz here (Though from what I recall, the power supplies have their own transformer so it doesn't matter).