my wii is stuck in standby (red light)

Started by phreak97, December 27, 2008, 12:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phreak97

hi everyone.
i got my cousins all excited about borrowing my wii, then when i went to back up my saves the console wouldnt turn on!!
it just sits there with a red light no matter what i press. i noticed that if i put my ear up to it and hold the power button it goes click click click click click etc..
strange:/

any ideas anyone? i havnt gotten any further yet cos i cant find my triwing screwdriver.. it's around here somewhere :(

phreak97

ugh.. a wire came off the mod chip and went on an adventure.. switching on the bare mothrboard gets a green light now, lets hope it all still works when i put it back together

should never have put that stupid chip in, i never use it anyway, i like my legit games alot more.

edit:

it doesnt work:( it now powers on, reads the disc, ejects, all that.. but no av, my tv flashes a bit when i turn on the wii, but thats about it.

i dont have time now.. but later ill take a photo of the area the wire was in, maybe it's just killed an off the shelf ic or something (heres hoping).

phreak97

ok heres a scan i grabbed off wiire.org because i havnt had time to get the wii mobo exposed again. i've added (in blue) where my stray wire was when it was causing the initial problem. the reason for the circles is im not completely sure where it was connected exactly, but i've narrowed it down to those places. the wire was going from one of those vias (i realise theyre probably all connected together and grounded, but on the off chance theyre not, i put a circle anyway) to either one or two of the pins on that side of that ic.

I'm guessing it grounded them.. anyone know what this ic does or what might have died from grounding those pins and holding the power button? when i held the power button before i found the wire, i could hear click click click click (like i said before) and while searching for the source of the sound i probably held the button for about 30 seconds.. probably doing further damage. so with that in mind, does anyone know enough about the wii to help me diagnose the problem?

ken_cinder

All I have to ask, is how does the motherboard have anything to do with your chip?

I only know of drivechips, wasn't aware there was an actual modchip for the Wii. And these connect solely to the DVD drive PCB.

phreak97

it doesnt, i used to have a wiikey installed then i swapped it to an openwii just for fun, somewhere while pulling out all the old wires one of them escaped and hid underneath the rf shielding, i didnt know till now.

im pretty sure i completely removed the drive to do the modding, so im not really sure how the wire ended up where it was, but the point remains, it's a bit of my wire wrapping wire, and it has hurt my wii :( now i gotta try fix it to save myself a bunch of money

ken_cinder

Ah, I was under the impression that you had a wire attached to the motherboard that came off at the other end.

The clicking sound, makes the drive mech come to mind. What else would make a noise like that?

phreak97

the clicking sound was very faint, but definately there, it seemed to be coming from the black inductors. it still clicked with the drive removed.

l_oliveira

The IC on your picture is a MOSFET transistor used for the internal power supply circuit. It's controlled by one of the three LV5043 (PWM controller) on the other side of the board. It's possible that the wire caused a short and that made that portion of the power supply fail.

At the other side of the board there's a  bunch of test points with a voltage indicated. Just follow them and measure the said test points (the ones with voltages written on them) with a voltage meter.

I bet it's missing one of the required voltages.

phreak97

all the points i could find had the labled voltages.. hopefully i missed one? do you know how many there are?
i got 5v, 3.3v, 1v, 1.8v, 1.15v. theres also 12v to pins 5 and 6 of the mosfet.. is that right?

l_oliveira

look, by what I could see on the broken wii motherboard I have here the said MOSFET (it's like three or two MOSFET elements on a single package) works together with the other one at it's left to step down 12V into 3.3v. It's possible that a fuse somewhere is blown.

What you need to do is measure the testpoints with a voltimeter and see which ones have power.
Try to power it on using the disc insertion action if the power button does nothing. Or maybe an wiimote.

As additional information, the wii does not boot without the wi-fi and bluetooth modules connected properly to the mainboard.

By the way: This scrap board I mentioned was bricked with opera error but when I learned how to fix that dumb "opera error" brick I had already erased this motherboard NAND flash for re-using it for other purposes. So it became a parts donor since I lost the contents of it's flash memory.

phreak97

it has power everywhere that it's meant to.. im pretty much giving up on it.. :(