NES model 2 vertical lines: Will an AV/RGB mod get

Started by CZroe, September 13, 2007, 02:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CZroe

I just picked up a model 2 NES from the thrift store along with a Sega Saturn and an import Rockman 7. Unlike the Saturn, the NES included its cables, though it was missing the dog-bone controller. It appears to be refurbished because the RF switch and AC adapter are still folded and twist-tied from the factory. This reminds me of my first model 2 I got in 1996 from a yardsale for $5: That one was *NEW* and still in the box! even though it is in great condition, I think that this is refurbished and not new (it has a new serial number sticker over the old one and there is "22" written in perm. marker on the underside).

Anyway, in a discussion about NES on HDTVs, someone on Penny-Arcade's forums had just mentioned "the vertical lines problem" a few days ago. He described them as "slight." These are anything but! Are some more severe than others or is my HDTV scaler picking up on the unwanted detail and enhancing it (it's a Sony KDL-52XBR2 52" LCD)? Could it be what this unit was refurbished for?

Regardless, I need to know if the AV modification will bypass these lines. Also, is there an RGB modification for this model? Thanks!

NFG

Newstyle NES units have a vertical striping problem that cannot easily be cured.  The AV mod will not fix this.  I think even the AV Famicoms have the same problem.

Drewman21

I know i got started on the one mod for the NES2 that is located on the gamesx wiki but never finished up to use it. I had heard that there was a second mod for it floating around that would help with the lines but never any follow up with anyone anywhere on what was better about it or even if anyone had done it. Anyone know about it?

Secondly, just throwing this out there, would there be a way to do the RGB mod to a NES with a "programed" chip like Tim did with the N64?  The playchoice chips are so hard to come by that it seams impossible to get one.  Could there be a way to "copy" the chip or what the chip does and still have it work in a NES board?

Moosmann

The AV Famicom don`t have the vertikal stripes lines.

Only the old Famicom and NES2 have them. But the Problem is not the PPU.

Lift Pin 21 (Video, PPU-Chip) from the PCB and take the Amplifier like describted in the Nesdev-Forum from leonk.
http://darthcloud.da.funpic.org/img/bypass.html

However, only lift Pin 21 don`t reduce the lines complete, you have to solder an 220uF Electrolyt Capacitor from PPU Pin 40 to GND. Take 5V for the Amplifier from the same Place from Capacitor (PPU Pin 40).

This works fine on an old Famicom 1989.

Greetings Markus  

CZroe

Thanks! I found the thread and I plan to do this when I return from my trip. Awesome work. Thanks again!

DarthCloud

lol I'm surprise that my old website still alive. I don't even remember the ftp password lol. I'm realy suprise that this old threat on nesdev still alive after 2 year. i

Quote from: Moosmann on September 14, 2007, 02:35:25 AM
The AV Famicom don`t have the vertikal stripes lines.

Only the old Famicom and NES2 have them. But the Problem is not the PPU.

Lift Pin 21 (Video, PPU-Chip) from the PCB and take the Amplifier like describted in the Nesdev-Forum from leonk.
http://darthcloud.da.funpic.org/img/bypass.html

However, only lift Pin 21 don`t reduce the lines complete, you have to solder an 220uF Electrolyt Capacitor from PPU Pin 40 to GND. Take 5V for the Amplifier from the same Place from Capacitor (PPU Pin 40).

This works fine on an old Famicom 1989.

Greetings Markus 

Moosmann

:)

That`s my way: http://mbrandel.vizionaires.net/?page_id=97

Please Note: Pin 22 ist for Reset and connect to 5V on an japanese Famicom. I really don`t know how it`s connect on a NES2.

Greetings Markus