Writing 5.25" Floppy with Mitsumi D509V2

Started by cawley1, February 16, 2018, 07:32:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cawley1

Guys,
Last one from me tonight!

I have finally sourced a 5.25" floppy drive - a Mitsumi D509V2. I have set this up in my Packard Bell Win98 computer as the A: drive, configured it and it's working.
I have installed xFloppy 1.1 on this Win98 computer and done the necessary work copying the XFLOPPY.VXD file into the Windows/System folder, and editing the System.ini to add in the 'device=xfloppy.vxd' under [386Enh].
I now can't get the drive to make a physical floppy from an XDF file I created in Virtual Floppy Image Converter (Marble Madness, converted from the .DIM file). I can 'format floppy disk' in the program, but when I try to 'write disk from file' I get the 'DeviceIoControl Error!' message.

This drive is working fine as a PC drive, in that I can format disks in both DOS and Win98, and have copied files to a formatted disk and read these, so I can't see the problem.

Any advice?
Thanks,
Paul

cawley1

Here is an interesting update.

I can read an X68000 floppy from this drive! I put in my Human68k version 2.02 backup that was supplied with my X68000 and read it to a file, I then copied this to a disk and ran it in XM6_TypeG, and it boots fine!

However, the disk I formatted under xFloppy 1.1 can't be read on either PC or X68000, so no idea what format that is!

Why would the drive be able to read a disk to an image, but not write a disk from an image?!

Over to you guys...
Thanks,
Paul

repoMan

Given you're talking about a 5.25" drive, the best results I've get so far are with Omniflop, it simply never fails!.
IIRC I'm using a TEAC FD-55GFR and I always try to use the best floppies I can find. Of course Omniflop runs over XP so you'll need to try this or maybe Omnidisk, that runs in 98 (no idea if it has the same X68000 format support).
Btw, long time ago I also checked XFloppy; but it simply doesn't give me a working floppy, never.

cawley1

Guys,
Firstly, thanks repoMan for your advice, I had already come to this conclusion yesterday evening...

Well, early this morning I decided to go on a Windows XP install adventure, just for Omniflop - it's taken hours (over two hours just to install XP on this Pentium 166 I have!), and various mucking about with the hardware, but I got it installed, and it's also made me a working X68000 disk from an image, so all good (now I just need to refine this mess of a retro PC).

Another mystery solved. I would say that while XFloppy sounds like a far easier option, it's not up to much.

Thanks,
Paul