Mitsubishi LCD-17X4 TV

Started by opti, September 27, 2004, 12:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

opti

I'm studying in Japan now and looking to get a nice LCD TV for GameCube and PS2.  I was particularly interested in getting a widescreen model, as games are increasingly taking advantage of that.

In the sub-23 inch category (and sub-$2,000), about the only model I've seen is the Mitsubishi LCD-17X4.  It does more than the standard 480 vertical, its resolution is actually 1280 x 768.  This puts it at 15:9 rather than 16:9, oddly enough, which seems to be pretty common on the widescreen TVs actually.  So the picture would be a little squished down, or the edges would be cut off (about 40 pixels on each side).  The best solution would be to get true 16:9 and just have thin black bars at the top and bottom, but I'm not sure if that's possible.

Also, compared to 4:3 TVs in this size, it seems relatively cheap -- about �80,000, or $720.  It seems that part of the price difference is because of the lack of a digital tuner in this model, but I'm not buying it for Japanese TV anyway.  I've seen it in the �60,000 range online, but my Japanese isn't good enough to order online yet, plus there would be no possibility of return if there's a problem.

Here is Mitsubishi's page for it: http://www.mitsubishielectric.co.jp/home/c...p/lcd-17x4.html

It does not have component input, but it does have D2 which provides the same video quality, and I have already ordered D-terminal cables for GameCube and PS2.

Reviews are non-existent on the web, as far as I've seen.  Anyone have any input?

opti

I should add that I'm also curious to know if there's a way to adapt VGA to D-Input.  Component is fine, I saw plenty of  component-to-D-Input cables at the store (though it would require couplers for something like a PS2), but I've never seen something that goes from VGA to component or D-Input that I can recall.  I know the other way around is possible with an XRGB2+ or X-Select D4.

NFG

There's a huge difference between a physical adaptor and a transcoding circuit.  D-terminal is the same signal as three component connectors on your DVD player, so that kind of adaptor is hugely easy.  It's just a pinout rearrangement.  Just so we're clear.  

You can easily convert VGA to component, I'd be shocked if there weren't off-the-shelf transcoders of this sort available already.  

opti

QuoteThere's a huge difference between a physical adaptor and a transcoding circuit.  D-terminal is the same signal as three component connectors on your DVD player, so that kind of adaptor is hugely easy.  It's just a pinout rearrangement.  Just so we're clear.  

You can easily convert VGA to component, I'd be shocked if there weren't off-the-shelf transcoders of this sort available already.
QuoteThere's a huge difference between a physical adaptor and a transcoding circuit.  D-terminal is the same signal as three component connectors on your DVD player, so that kind of adaptor is hugely easy.  It's just a pinout rearrangement.  Just so we're clear. 

OK, we're clear  :-)

When you say "off-the-shelf," do you mean they should be available in a run-of-the-mill electronics shop, or what?  I would have no idea where to find such a thing.  I would explore Akihabara for such a thing if I were in Tokyo, but I'm not.

Any input on the monitor, Lawrence?  I understand that pixel response is a primary concern when it comes to video games, but if that's still an issue with modern LCDs, those specs don't seem to be readily avaible except perhaps in the product manual.

NFG

Sorry, I've never seen the screen in question so I can't offer an opinion.  As for transcoders, since I don't own any component gear it's not something I've ever looked into.  Perhaps someone else can help?