Slim Ps2 won't recognize controllers

Started by skere26, May 12, 2009, 07:48:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skere26

Hi,

Today when I attempted to use my Slim Ps2, I could not get any controllers to work. I plugged 4 working controllers into the port, to no prevail.  The only mod I have on my system is a flip-top.  Otherwise, the system loads the main menu just fine.  Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Thanks!

kendrick

Is there the same behavior on both controller ports? Either way, you can't replace the port connectors on the slim PS2 because they're not a detachable component like you have on earlier models. If you're brave, you can desolder the ports and replace them with new ones. But given the recent price drop, it's almost cheaper just to get completely brand new PS2 unit.

l_oliveira

You inserted a damaged controller (very likely to have a short circuit inside the cable) and probably the 8volt line for the rumble zapped one of the data lines. 
There's a set of protection ZENER diodes for each digital pin on the ports.  On the BIG PS2s the zeners are on the controller port so replacing the whole port usually solves the problem. On the slim you need to replace the diodes and they're in the motherboard.

Also, in the case of the PS2 each port is 100% separated of the other so it's very likely that the other port still work (unless you zapped it too with the broken controller)

skere26

Thanks for your help folks!

I'll probably just grab a new one thanks to the price decrease :)