Argh!! NES Zapper on C64 monitor

Started by blackevilweredragon, December 14, 2007, 10:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackevilweredragon

Everything points to that this should work, it's just an old fasion NTSC monitor!  But nooooooo.

As you know, the Zapper works by flashing the screen black with a white block for a target.

But this act on the C64 monitor makes it lose vertical hold for a little but, and thus makes it impossible to make a shoot.

So, any ideas?

phreak97

adjust your v-hold knob. youre probably out of adjustment enough for it to keep sync while theres a bright image onscreen but to lose it when theres a dark one. i've seen this happen before.

blackevilweredragon

Quote from: phreak97 on January 01, 2008, 12:53:24 PM
adjust your v-hold knob. youre probably out of adjustment enough for it to keep sync while theres a bright image onscreen but to lose it when theres a dark one. i've seen this happen before.
V-Hold was adjusted in every possible position, it bounces no matter what.

kendrick

Think about a capacitor replacement job on the monitor then? I've found the Commodore-branded monitors are terrible on the vertical hold past a certain age. I think you'll find the problem is unique to the monitor, as opposed to a problem with the NES; try a Master System or anything else that flashes the screen for light gun action and you'll probably get the same result. Not sure if a cap job will fix it, but it can't hurt.