MAVI, SCART for Americans

Started by blackevilweredragon, July 15, 2007, 06:20:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackevilweredragon

I am going to patent this soon..  The pinouts won't be the same on the patent, as seen here, but the connections will remain the same, of what's supported of MAVI.

It supports Composite Video, S-Video, Component Video, RGB, and Digital Coaxial Audio...

RGB has Composite Sync, but H+V support may be added (making H also dub as Composite Sync)..

Of course it's on the obsolete area right now, as it's analog, but supporting the analog community is important..  And it's compatible with even the Sega Master System.. ;)

What would you like to see added before the patent is filed?

NFG

I don't think something like this is patentable, never mind that the cost is extreme ($1200 USD at a minimum).  You can't patent non-obvious ideas, and using a DB connector for video is pretty obvious.  

It may not be a bad idea to try and popularize this, but I predict early failure, for a number of reasons.  

The first is size: no one wants such a massive connector on their console.  The second is signalling: Why +5v instead of GND like every other connector in the universe?  Third, why have signalling at all when you've got pins for every kind of output?  Finally, why have pins for every signal instead of a small set of re-usable pins, so that the signalling controls what signals are present on the outputs?

viletim

Haha.

BTW, I had a chance to play a PS3 the other day. A co-worker brought it in and tried to play the game he had with it (don't remember the name...it looked a lot like like Medal of Honor for PSX) on a ordinary tube TV only to find that the game was high definition only. It refused to boot with the Playstation set to output analog video.

It did look quite pretty when connected to a Plasma TV. I wonder if this is a attempt by Sony (or whoever) to push more flat pannel TVs or just inevitable 'progression'...

blackevilweredragon

Um, the connector doesn't get used on consoles..  it goes on the TV itself..  I mean, look at SCART...

It uses 5v's instead of ground, because that's how I wanted it to be... ;)

blackevilweredragon

UPDATE:  Ok, no patent will be filed, it will be an OPEN standard...

Feel free to use it.  I'll upload the final product when I get back to my laptop, where I designed guidelines and standards for it..  (you guys can ignore the guidelines, it's setup incase a company wanted to use)

Endymion

QuoteBTW, I had a chance to play a PS3 the other day. A co-worker brought it in and tried to play the game he had with it (don't remember the name...it looked a lot like like Medal of Honor for PSX) on a ordinary tube TV only to find that the game was high definition only. It refused to boot with the Playstation set to output analog video.
Sounds more likely that the person using it had the video settings on for an HDTV resolution only, and unchecked 480i. I have never seen nor heard of any PS3 game that only functions on HDTVs. With your cabling plugged up, you literally have to turn on the checkboxes in the preferences for the resolutions that you want your games to use though, it could be that he just had the resolutions for standard TVs turned off. I would have hoped that the PS3 would be smart enough to figure out what kind of cable it has plugged up so that it could at least boot some video so you could change this if need be, but Sony has screwed up worse before, and if there were any one game that were for HDTV only I would have expected to hear about it.

NeWmAn

I have never seen nor heard of any PS3 game that only functions on HDTVs.
Gran Turismo HD (The demo that's freely downloadable) is HD only. :(