TV's and the NTSC colors?

Started by blackevilweredragon, July 03, 2007, 02:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackevilweredragon

I am building a TV, and I JUST got able to test the parts, and while they work, it renders NTSC very differently than I expected.

I'm following the original NTSC guidelines to build the TV, and have used OLD TV parts, old fashion tuner, vacuum tubes, and good 'ol point to point wiring...

After testing the equipment (and my circuit!), I was surprised to see how different colors looked on it...

http://blackevilweredragon.spymac.com/tubecolor.jpg

Why is this?  Did the NTSC system change so vastly?  It actually seems like THIS TV has much better color than a modern TV, to be honest..  Notice the yellow, it seems just "different"..

smd4420

i kno this is a old thread but my guess would be a lot of the tv manufactures "ajust" the colors on their sets to make them stand out from the rest on the display shelf. Sony was known for this back in the day with their HDTV crts. It was called 'red push'.

Barkuti

I think it all comes down to mass production guidelines and lowering manufacturing costs, nothing related to the TV system. Two and a half decades ago a technician would come home and more or less carefully adjust your TV set for proper picture quality.
In the last 10-15 years of CRT history manufacturers began sticking some factory presets in their sets' circuitry (combinations of brightness/contrast/color/etc.), for obvious cost saving reasons, and to easen off the life of most Joe Sixpacks who could care less about their TV set's adjustments. Unfortunately, the resulting IQ using those presets is just plain shit 95% of the time. Oversaturated/burned colors, too low/too high contrast, geometry/focus/insane color bleeding problems due to excessive brightness leading to overdrived PSUs/flybacks... :wacko:

A good test pattern, and probably access to the service menu, is required to properly adjust a modern CRT TV/arcade monitor, etc. The TV-out found on graphics cards on most computers along with a software like Nokia test comes in handy here, because test patterns are no longer broadcasted by the TV channels.

Cheers

acem77

Digital Video Essentials is great for tuning a set and teaching the logistic behind it all. thank god for service menus. :)
Digital Video Essentials