monitor says "Not Supported"

Started by blackevilweredragon, October 26, 2006, 09:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackevilweredragon

My monitor says the signal isn't supported, but it looks fine to me, minus that the message won't go away!!

http://blackevilweredragon.spymac.com/notsupported1.jpg
http://blackevilweredragon.spymac.com/notsupported2.jpg

So, is it a bug in the monitor?  Or is there a possible work around this?

kendrick

I've seen that on some LCD displays that can't handle a particular resolution and/or sync rate. At first glance, it looks like the displayed image is fine, but you can't adjust it so that the whole image is present and centered. What signal are you feeding into the monitor that's causing this message?

EDIT- Duh, I should have viewed the images first. I don't know why your monitor says it can't handle 15 kHz unless it's doing some kind of weird interlacing that it doesn't like. This one has me stumped.

-KKC, who had a bag of Combos for dinner. That can't be good.

blackevilweredragon

well, it's doing the Genesis 240p signal just fine...  Even when it goes into two player split screen, where it's interlaced, it works fine, it's just the message is there, and it's annoying...  (the message itself don't change though)

blackevilweredragon

Oh, and incase it matters, this is how I connected it to the monitor...

Genesis > VGA Monitor
R > R
G > G
B > B
Ground > Ground
C Sync > H Sync and V Sync

I think I did that right..

Computolio

What model is this monitor? It looks pretty new.

You might have to disable the OSD entirely (maybe with a switch?) to make that message go away, which is probably impossible. That just sucks.

blackevilweredragon

it's an old Envision monitor...  i noticed mine has a different OSD than other versions of the same model..  (im not at the monitor right now..)

GZeus

So you used a sync seperator to seperate the horisontal and vertical sync signals, right?

blackevilweredragon

QuoteSo you used a sync seperator to seperate the horisontal and vertical sync signals, right?
no, the monitor supports composite sync, and i just applied it to both lines...

blackevilweredragon

I contacted the monitor manufacturer, and they said 15KHz scanrate isn't supported..

Some help that was..  obviously it DOES support it, it shows the game...

GZeus

Before buying an upscan convertor, I'd try building a sync seperator, just in case it's getting some freakout signal before it displays.

viletim!

Are you sure there's nothing wrong with the picture? Eg, cropped or refreshing at less than 60 frames. Short of hacking the firmware there's probably nothing you can do about the message.

viletim!

wait...that's not an LCD. You can disable the OSD in a CRT monitor fairly easily....locate what generates the OSD and stop it from genetating a blanking signal.

Computolio

Quoteit's an old Envision monitor...  i noticed mine has a different OSD than other versions of the same model..  (im not at the monitor right now..)

Still, it'd be really useful to have the model number, because if it's possible to dig up the service manual for it it could be a great help as far as disabling the OSD goes.

blackevilweredragon

I just tried a sync separator that I borrowed from a friend, no go, does the same thing..

it is showing all 60fps in the Genesis signal...  When I push "Menu", it does let me control the image, but as soon as the menu is closed, the warning comes back up..

The model number of this display would be useless, because there are atleast 4 revisions of the display, each having a different CRT inside of it, along with a different computer onboard...

I am taking apart the CRT right now, and will try and locate where it generates the OSD..  hopefully i'll find something..

blackevilweredragon

ok, i think i found the area where the OSD is located..

however, it looks like this (notice it has no text in it, how is that possible?!)

http://blackevilweredragon.spymac.com/crterror.jpg

ido8bit

In the screenshot you've posted the OSD is clearly still enabled.  You've disconnected/disabled a sync or data signal, not the blanking signal.  

Usually there will be a blanking signal on the jungle IC that is used to enable the OSD.  This would be the best place to disable the OSD.  Check it's state when the OSD is not being displayed (when the monitor is connected to a normal VGA signal) to determine whether this pin needs to be tied to GND or +5V in order to disable the OSD.  Then you can fit a switch.  However I've spent more time working on TVs than monitors so monitors may do this differently.

It is possible that while it can display the signal from the Genesis it really doesn't like it.  If the monitor is squealing it's horizontal stage may be overloaded.  If so it won't last long.  You may not be able to hear it though.    

blackevilweredragon

Being I have good hearing range, and have been using the monitor for quite some time, playing Sega CD games right now, I'd say it's perfectly fine with it, no problems at all...

Though, even though I pulled the H Sync out of the OSD, how come it has no text?  Would that also get rid of the text inside the box?  Seems weird..