my SNES always has interference

Started by blackevilweredragon, July 27, 2006, 12:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackevilweredragon

My SNES, no matter how it's connected, Composite, or S-Video, has interference on the screen..

I've tried other TVs, even Composite/S-Video monitors, and it still does it.  I have even tried other locations, and it still does it...

What could be causing this?  The RF shield IS present..  I even tried without the shield, and it still does it (knew it wouldn't work)...

kendrick

Diagnostic question: Do you get the same type of interference when using the other output types? Assuming a first-run American or Japanese console (as opposed to a PAL unit or the Junior revision) you should have RF, composite, S-video and RGB available to you. What type of interference is it (static, wavy lines, concentric circles, Michael Weatherly's eyeballs) and is it consistently displayed the same way?

A poor video signal in all formats would indicate a power problem to me, rather than faulty shielding. Try swapping the AC adaptor, or testing it in another house (or at a workbench with tightly regulated power.)

-KKC, who used to have such a workbench until life caught up to him...

blackevilweredragon

As mentioned, I tried it on other conenction, composite and S-Video, and I have tried it at a different house..

Oddly, I couldn't get the RGB to work..  my LCD monitors VGA in always worked for me with my playstation, and Sega Genesis, the monitor would show 15KHz when I push menu, but when I hooked up my SNES to it, the monitor says "Out of Sync"..   hmm....

I don't have any other power adapters at the moment, so I will have to snatch another 10v when I see one (with equal or greater amperage)

oh, and the interference is like dark bands moving around the screen, thick bands...  i will try and get a pic when i can..

viletim!

Something wrong with the power supply is a posibility but if it is the case then swapping the AC adaptor is unlikely to help. Most of the SNES' power supply is inside the SNES. The adaptor (console killer - cause if you plug it into anything but a nintendo it'll kill it) is nothing more than a transformer.

blackevilweredragon

QuoteSomething wrong with the power supply is a posibility but if it is the case then swapping the AC adaptor is unlikely to help. Most of the SNES' power supply is inside the SNES. The adaptor (console killer - cause if you plug it into anything but a nintendo it'll kill it) is nothing more than a transformer.
well, i installed a regular DC jack, so I can use any adapter I wish, from 9v to 11v...  negative tip polarity is what I wired it up to be, so I could use my Sega Genesis DC adapter...

It did this well before I did this mod, even with the SNES power brick..