RGB monitor on C64?

Started by blackevilweredragon, May 23, 2006, 05:59:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackevilweredragon

My father bought me a Commodore 64 on eBay today, one that is still in the box...

Here's my question however:  I have an RGB monitor that says it's designed for the Commodore 128, and has "Digital RGB" input.  Can I use my C64 on it?  Or am I going to have to use the "Seperate Video" on the back of my monitor, which is just S-Video along two RCA jacks?

kendrick

As far as I know, there's no composite video or RGB output on the original Commodore 64. You get distinct chroma and luma (from two of the pins on the proprietary A/V port) or you get an RF signal tuned for whatever region you're in. There were later revisions of the 64 (called the C-64C, if I remember correctly) but they were different only cosmetically as far as I know.

You may be interested to know that the Commodore 128 could not only output a low-resolution RGB signal, but could do so independently of the RF signal. The C-128 was one of the first home computers that could drive two monitors with two different images simultaneously, and a handful of games took advantage of the feature.

-KKC, seeing if he can post after a marathon virus cleaning session...

blackevilweredragon

QuoteAs far as I know, there's no composite video or RGB output on the original Commodore 64. You get distinct chroma and luma (from two of the pins on the proprietary A/V port) or you get an RF signal tuned for whatever region you're in. There were later revisions of the 64 (called the C-64C, if I remember correctly) but they were different only cosmetically as far as I know.

You may be interested to know that the Commodore 128 could not only output a low-resolution RGB signal, but could do so independently of the RF signal. The C-128 was one of the first home computers that could drive two monitors with two different images simultaneously, and a handful of games took advantage of the feature.

-KKC, seeing if he can post after a marathon virus cleaning session...
the C64 that will be coming, it says it has a cable that is for the "Seperate Video" port, and a RGB cable...  so it must have it, but I think it's analog..

JB

QuoteAs far as I know, there's no composite video or RGB output on the original Commodore 64. You get distinct chroma and luma (from two of the pins on the proprietary A/V port) or you get an RF signal tuned for whatever region you're in.
Actually, the C64 is incapable of outputting RF. It outputs composite video. The RF "switch" is a complete modulator, much like on a Genesis 2.

Eh-heh... got the C64 and Vic20 mixed up. C64 has an integrated RF modulator outputting on an RCA jack. Still has composite video on the DIN, though.

blackevilweredragon

hmm, well it appears that i won't be able to use RGB..

and ill have to see which version of the C64 I get, as some have a 5-pin AV connector, and some have an 8-pin..  the ones that have an 8-pin have seperated chroma (s-video), which my commodore monitor also accepts...

kendrick

You're probably right about the C-64 producing composite natively. My memory might be skewed by the fact that I always used the chroma/luma cable.

About the 5-pin and 8-pin connector? As far as I know, every C-64 has an eight-pin socket, but it will accept the 5-pin plug. Back in those days, they saved money on any component part substitution they could get away with.

-KKC, having one of those months...

blackevilweredragon

QuoteYou're probably right about the C-64 producing composite natively. My memory might be skewed by the fact that I always used the chroma/luma cable.

About the 5-pin and 8-pin connector? As far as I know, every C-64 has an eight-pin socket, but it will accept the 5-pin plug. Back in those days, they saved money on any component part substitution they could get away with.

-KKC, having one of those months...
I did a google check..  early models only had a 5-pin socket, and no s-video..  later models had an 8-pin socket, and had s-video..