sega genesis glitch

Started by blackevilweredragon, March 23, 2006, 03:24:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackevilweredragon

I don't know if this started happening since I installed a HALT switch on my Genesis, but I am having video problems on one level..

When the lava shoots Sonic up, in only a couple of frames, I notice that the rings tend to disappear...

http://blackevilweredragon.spymac.com/graphicglitch.jpg

http://blackevilweredragon.spymac.com/graphicglitch2.jpg

the last link has a piece missing from one of the things...

blackevilweredragon

crap, my host has went down again...

the genesis has all kinds of "glitches" like that....nothing to be concerned over.  The Genesis wasn't terribly capable of mode 7 stuff and high scaling so these sort of things are appearent in early games.

-Segasonicfan

Endymion

Nitpick: only the SNES can do mode 7. That's right, not even the newest consoles, PS2, XBox, 360, none of them do mode 7. "Mode 7" is not scaling and rotation. Rather, it is the term for the video processor "mode" that the SNES video chip normally turns on when it does scaling and rotational effects. The SNES video chip has 8 video modes, numbered from 0 to 7, and the 7th just happens to be the one that supports those features.

So to say the Genesis doesn't support mode 7 is kind of like saying the GameCube doesn't support the EmotionEngine--it surely does not because it doesn't have one!

The Genesis certanly DOES do scaling and rotation.

That 7Mhz 68000 crushes the SNES in total performance.

It can even do FMV, by itself.

blackevilweredragon

QuoteThe Genesis certanly DOES do scaling and rotation.

Only in Software, NOT Hardware.  If it did truly support scaling and rotation, then do explain why Sega CD and 32X mentions it in the spec?

Either way, mode 7 doesn't mean "scaling and rotation support."
It means "the SNES video mode in which there is only one background layer, which may be scaled, rotated, and manipulated to create 3D effects."

Endymion

QuoteThe Genesis certanly DOES do scaling and rotation.

Ladies and gentlemen--a man who cannot read.

Nowhere did I state the Genesis cannot do scaling or rotation. It can. As already stated it does this in software.

What the Genesis can NOT do is: "Mode 7!"

It cannot do Mode 7 because it literally does not have a chip that has this mode!

Any clearer now? Mode 7 does NOT mean "scaling and rotation" either. I can't believe this term has been used interchangably for these effects after fifteen long years now. Enough already.

Ya know, I just realized... the original pictures weren't even doing scaling or rotation to start with.  
Don't have the full screens for context(not a big Sonic fan, so I'm not very familiar with the areas in question), but the disappearing objects look suspiciously like the kind of error you get when the max sprites per line of the graphics chip is exceeded.  

Guest_Martin

Most games on the MD don't scale, they just re-draw.
OutRun looked so crap in 5fps glory

NFG

RedZone did some really awesome rotation, it was the first Genny game to do full-screen rotation I think.  There was a Sonic game that rotated the screen in a bonus level, but it was mostly reshuffling sprites, where RedZone rotated the entire background, smoothly and quite effectively.  It was a good game.