Sega Genesis RGB just not working

Started by blackevilweredragon, March 14, 2006, 02:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackevilweredragon

Ok, unless I am doing something wrong, I can't figure out why my Sega Genesis just won't output RGB...

I have an old Teknika MJ-22 RGB monitor (uses a 8-pin DIN connector, and I guess was sold to be used with a Commodore 128), and I wired all the pins from the Genesis to the monitor, and the monitor refuses to even show a single picture, it's completely black...

So, I tried wiring my Genesis to my LCD monitor (monitor has VGA and DVI), and I wired the following pins:

Red to Red
Green to Green
Blue to Blue
Sync to Horizantle Sync
Ground to Ground

and my LCD just says "No Signal"...

my LCD monitor does say it does "720x480 15.7KHz 59Hz" in the manual, so it "should" work...

Please tell me if I am doing something wrong, I would like to use my Genesis with RGB...

antron

QuoteSync to Horizantle Sync
can you do that?
i think you need to split H and V sync out of composite sync.

blackevilweredragon

QuoteSync to Horizantle Sync
can you do that?
i think you need to split H and V sync out of composite sync.
oh, i thought i was only supposed to have the sync go to horizantle..  ok, let me try splitting it across the H and V sync..

brb...

antron

no, you need a circiut that splits the signals out.
the LM1881 Sync Separator will give you the vertical.

does anyone know how to get the horizontal?

blackevilweredragon

nope, still "No Signal"..  I just can't get it to work, at all..

blackevilweredragon

Quoteno, you need a circiut that splits the signals out.
the LM1881 Sync Separator will give you the vertical.

does anyone know how to get the horizontal?
this says I don't...

http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/genesisav.htm

FYI:  Sega Genesis has a dedicated Composite Sync output, and my LCD does support a composite sync...

antron

found this here
Most monitors can handle using the LM1881 composite sync output for the horizontal sync but some monitors require
real horizontal sync like my Multiple Scan 15AV Display.

All you need to get real horizontal sync from the LM1881
composite sync output is an invertor and a nand gate.

To make an invertor from a nand gate just connect the
two nand gate inputs together and use it as the input.

LM1881 Pin 1 (composite sync out) goes to the invertor then the output of the invertor goes to one input of the nand gate.

LM1881 Pin 3 (vertical sync out) goes to the other input of the nand gate.

The output of the nand gate is now just horizontal sync
which works with my fussy Multiple Scan 15AV Display .

antron

Quotemy LCD does support a composite sync...
ok, i see

blackevilweredragon

ok, i finally got the LCD to say something else, but it was "OUT OF RANGE"...

ok, so I give up, my LCD doesn't support what the manufacturer said it would...  so upon hooking up the LCD back to my laptop (what I am on right now, I use the LCD on my laptop because its bigger), and to my surprise, the whole screen was purple tinted...

did I kill my LCD monitor?  it's all purple tinted now, and wiggling the plug, even though screwed in, makes it go green tinted, and then no blues at all...

antron

blackevilweredragon

Quotebent pin(s)
crap..  is there an easy way to fix this?

I kept on plugging in the laptop, unplugging it, and repeating it, and now if I put it in just right, I can get my full colors..

antron

what do the pins look like?  you sould be able to see the bent ones.  straighten them out with needle nose pliers.

blackevilweredragon

Quotewhat do the pins look like?  you sould be able to see the bent ones.  straighten them out with needle nose pliers.
the pins on the VGA cable are fine, on both the laptop and the monitor end...  both ends have perfectly straight pins..

antron

blackevilweredragon

Quotebad cable?
doubt it, just hooked the cable up to my trinitron, and the cable is strong as ever (threw the cable around while attached, and the trinitron kept a perfect picture)..

i have a feeling the VGA port on my LCD monitor has shorted out or something..