Bootleg genesis Phantasy Star II cart: any way I can fix the save function?

Started by keropi, February 02, 2011, 05:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keropi

Hiya!

a bootleg genesis Phantasy Star II cartridge came to my possession recently :

(sorry for the camera flash , can take a better pic if needed)

although it seems that it has all needed parts to actually save in the game, the save-flash is filled with garbage and the game cannot erase them. Tried removing the battery , the same garbage data remain. Something is broken and the save-flash access is not working (I assume)
I remember I have read somewhere in the past how to fix this, but unfortunately I cannot find the article/post/blog/??? again, anyone here has any hints?
thanks!

NFG

It won't be a flash chip if there's a battery in there, instead it'll be a regular ol' RAM chip of some sort.  Removing the battery for a few hours should sort you out.

keropi

I have removed the battery for 22 days  :D but still the saves exist on the cart and the delete function does not work... bah seems this is a hardware flaw or the save system is bogus...

l_oliveira

You have to remove that tiny board with the epoxy blob (has 6264 written on it) and replace it with an real 6264 SRAM chip.

That should fix your savedata function.  And btw it probably broke after a mechanical shock (yeah epoxy bonded chips suck.)...

keropi

wow, and I thought that was a program chip...  :o
I will look for one on eBay I guess...
thanks!

edit:
is this suitable? http://cgi.ebay.com/SRAM-statischer-Speicher-6264-LP70-8Kx8-70ns-RAM-DIP28-/310236075407?pt=Bauteile&hash=item483b82d58f

l_oliveira

Yeah ... LL type is what you need. Specific for that purpose (data backup).

keropi