GameCube DAC?

Started by Blaine, July 20, 2006, 05:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaine

Word is the GameCube has a DAC chip inside of the digital cables. True or not?

The cheapest I've been able to find a VGA cable is about $50. I know where I can get DTerminal connectors, so, with a pinout I could just make a cable.

Thoughts?

///EDIT///

Yeah, I found it does have a chip in it.

How about we change my question to:

Where I can get a VGA cable for a reasonable price?
If you can mod it... I'll find a way to screw it up!

kendrick

As of right now, there's no viable retail or homebrew substitute for the D-A chip inside the Nintendo-branded Gamecube component cable. All of the VGA cords I'm aware of either feed off of the analog RGB or are hacked component cords. If you search the forums, there was a discussion a while back that brought up the possibility that the Gamecube and N64 digital output may be signal compatible. This means that it might be possible to use a chip scavenged from an N64 to produce some reasonable VGA or Component signals.

-KKC, staying at work late. Woo, overtime.

radorn

QuoteIf you search the forums, there was a discussion a while back that brought up the possibility that the Gamecube and N64 digital output may be signal compatible. This means that it might be possible to use a chip scavenged from an N64 to produce some reasonable VGA or Component signals.
Wow. Are you serious??

This could also mean you can use a dac from GC (or the digital cable) on the n64 to get RGB and Component Video... and maybe better s-video xD

I have to search that.