N64 Stick Converter PCB v2.2

Started by micro, January 16, 2013, 06:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

micro

I've made a new version of the PCB for improving that Gamecube-style N64 replacement stick in various ways.

Installation guide: http://www.mediafire.com/?encle2go54et96l

The new PCB got some nice new features like:
- descriptive labels on top and bottom side
- easy re-enabling of calibration mode by setting a jumper
- additional holes to fit larger joysticks found in PSX and Xbox controller
- also suited for slider joysticks -> accurate calculation of the required dead zone
- additional solder jumpers on bottom side to invert X- and/or Y-axis

The PCB comes with a new analog joystick as well as a pin header and a jumper.
The price is 10 € per PCB; worldwide flat rate shipping is 3.50 €.  (That means 1 PCB: 13.50€ shipped; 2 PCB's: 23.50€ shipped, etc...)
Sold out!

PCB version 3 is coming in late february/march.  :) Stay tuned and check this post once in a while. (Please don't send me any PM's yet)
--> Here we go: http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5803.0

Source code & .hex file
As promised I've uploaded the source code and .hex file of the program that's running on these PCB's. It's free for your personal, non-commercial use :)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/zmzz5zm7z89yzv3/N64_Stick_Converter_PCB_v2.1.zip (AVR Studio 5 project)
You should be familiar with programming microcontrollers if you want to use the source and hex files. Please don't ask me how you gonna operate your programmer - I don't know it. There are already tons of programming guides and manuals available!

QuoteOld version of the PCB:

Installation guide: http://www.mediafire.com/?ty3ln8q1cvk243h

public-pervert

Hats off again, bro.  ;D
Beautiful boards and great guide!

What MCU is that? Will you make the code available? Could it work with the 3DS or PSP sliders?

You're genial man! Really appreciate your work!  :D

micro

Thanks, but you don't have to be a genius to make such PCB's...  ;D

The microcontroller used on these PCB's is a very small Attiny13.
I don't know if I'll release the code. Flashing the Attiny13 is a delicate matter. The reset pin has to be disabled so no further programming is possible with an ISP programmer. I've received soooo many messages from people who haven't had success in flashing the attiny24 or atmega8...

In theory these PCB's work with any kind of potentiometer-based joystick. Because of the calibration you'll always get the right range.
But unfortunately the PSP stick is so inaccurate; it would only work if a big dead-zone is applied.

Keep in mind these PCB's are tailored to fit into the GC-style replacement stick, where no dead-zone is required :)

mickkn

Just got my 2 kits today. And so far i'm impressed.

Haven't had the time to to test it that much. But did a quick comparison on goldeneye with new pcb and the old attiny chipped stick. And now I can actually do the first 2 headshots with sniper on Dam with ease ;) was a pain before :) nice work Micro. Have to buy 2 more kits as soon as I get some money :)

Grambo

Amazing!
I joined the forum for this reason alone :)

I've sent you a PM, micro, I'm looking very forward to this.

zaneiken

I also joined just for this!  Excellent work!
PM sent.

Meins321

Hey micro, thank you for your work and outstanding pcb production  ;D

It would be nice if you don't take the eagle/gerber files for that pcb into any grave  ::)
I do recognize your work and will give full credit to it as you did a hell of a job but i have to say:
Most of these retro console projects get a "rest" and then vanish into the deep of the internets, all of your work would be lost then.I think you wanted people to enjoy their N64 Controller to the fullest, which is honorable, and you shoed how it is done right!

If you don't, maybe considere going open source, even if that means some chinese copycats will get their hands on it, it will prevent far more N64 from the trash can than you and me can imagine.

If you ever decide to make a second batch write me please i would like to get "some" of them, as even my friends still own and play their N64.

y4nk33

Quote from: Neves on April 26, 2013, 12:49:27 PM
Please make a second batch! ;)

Please micro? *_*

I <3 my n64, and I want my 2 year old daughter to play with her old man.
:D
ShalaBafaS

micro

Relax  8)
Actually I've already made a 2nd batch:

It got some new cool features. Unfortunately there's only a partial installation guide in german available right now: http://www.mediafire.com/?2lliu8u15dlg8dt (not describing the additional features)

Once I've sold the majority of the PCB's I'll release the program's source code, too.

If you want to buy some of the new PCB's now, send me a PM. But keep in mind that it may take 2 weeks or so until a full english installation guide / manual will be available. (price and shipping are the same as described on the 1st post)

EDIT: full english installation guide: http://www.mediafire.com/?encle2go54et96l

Neves

public-pervert

Grambo

I bought 4 off of micro's first run. They all work and have continued to work perfectly.

public-pervert

Indeed! This guy really know what he's doing  8)

I think Micro should come to the portabilizing side of the force  ;)

micro

The complete installation guide in english is now available. The link is in the 1st post of this thread.  :D

public-pervert

I've posted it over Benheck, ModRetro and Made-By-Bacteria forums, hope you don't mind  ;)

Congrats dude!  8)

ours1011

Hi,

I'm curious. What does this look like from the outside of the controller ? Is it a N64 pad with GC stick, right ?

Thanks !

PS: Maybe i'm gonna buy some :)

ShockSlayer

Been waitin' for this for awhile now, excellent work as always!

micro

Quote from: ours1011 on May 11, 2013, 12:52:57 AM
Hi,

I'm curious. What does this look like from the outside of the controller ? Is it a N64 pad with GC stick, right ?

Thanks !

PS: Maybe i'm gonna buy some :)

The main purpose is to replace the crappy PCB in those sticks and cure the problems those sticks are plagued with in their original unmodified state.
The sticks look like Gamecube sticks but they're smaller and the top of the joystick cap is just plastic instead of rubber:

With the N64 Stick Converter PCB it's also possible to install a real Gamecube stick from a genuine Gamecube controller. But that's much much more work and requires dremeling, sanding, glueing, etc.
This is a picture of my controller which I made a few years ago. It got the stick of a third-party Gamecube controller.

zaneiken

Quote from: Grambo on May 08, 2013, 11:25:57 PM
I bought 4 off of micro's first run. They all work and have continued to work perfectly.
I also bought 4 from the first batch - awesome little kits!

ours1011

Quote from: micro on May 12, 2013, 03:41:30 AM

The main purpose is to replace the crappy PCB in those sticks and cure the problems those sticks are plagued with in their original unmodified state.
The sticks look like Gamecube sticks but they're smaller and the top of the joystick cap is just plastic instead of rubber:
So to be clear, I just have to buy one of those sticks in addition to your PCB to get something that works fine ?

If that's the case, I'm going to buy 2 of your kits ! :)

micro

I'm not a Smash Brothers player but I know that smash moves (stick right + attack I believe) will work with my PCB because there's no more lag. :)

jsp5107

Hey, I'm interested in buying a few of these if you have any left. I sent you a PM about it.

chuckfinley

Hope you still have some, I just sent a pm as well. Would like to add it to the wireless mod.  ;)

TheDeats

I just bought two replacement PCB kits from him and they are amazing. I bought them to play Ocarina of Time and it fixed the Quickspin issue. Movement feels excellent overall and I feel like this is better than the original control stick. It took me about 30 mins to put together and the instructions were very clear. Highly recommended

SolveMyMaze

The board really is perfect. I'm seriously impressed on how well it fixes the problems with these GC style sticks.
I've done a video review of the product.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhzUQJMNFN8

micro

Thanks for your impressions, SolveMyMaze  :D

At the moment only 9 PCB's are left. Potential buyers should hurry up, they'll be sold out very soon.  ;)
Buying 2 or more PCB's is preferred as I'm also running out of packaging material...

SolveMyMaze

You're very welcome.
A great board deserves all the praise it can get. Will you be making a third batch of them?
Edit- Also included the Nintendo Nation review.
http://www.nintendo-nation.net/nintendo-64-thumbstick-replacement-board-review/

chuckfinley

Just thought I'd post here as well, I just received 2 from micro the other day and they are working beautifully !

Couldn't be happier with the results ! :)

toñogk

Hello Micro, I'm aware the PCB's are sold out, are you planning to sell more of these?

micro

So far the reception of the PCB's was very positive  - thank you all for your praises!  ;D

I'm planning on making another batch in late August or September. This time with preorder and prepayment (see 1st post).

I've also released the source code and hex file of the program. I know there are some experienced guys who want to program their own microcontrollers and now they can.  :D

maelstrom987

Just got 4 of these in the mail from micro. Only took about a week from Germany -> US. Well packed, and worked great. Installation instructions were perfect.

public-pervert

Yeeeeesss!! I'm downloading it right now!
Thanks for the source code and hex file, Micro!
Since I have lots of spare ATTINY24's here, I'll certainlly build my own board.  8)
I really appreciate your hard work, dude. Thank you very very much!  ;D

Mitchfork

I just wanted to say that I performed this mod with your 1.2 code and an ATtiny24 and it works perfectly.  I'll have to replace the potentiometer to get the full experience but it was lots of fun (and some frustration!) to put one of these together.  I'll definitely be watching out for when these go on sale again.