Name for the "My Custom Video Output" connection?

Started by martianviking, June 26, 2004, 12:56:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

martianviking

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever given a name to the the "My Custom Video Output" video connection format found here:
http://www.gamesx.com/misctech/mypin.htm

If I made a device with this connector on it, I would like to know how I should label it.

Darklegion

Its a DB9 plug which is part of the 'D" series of connectors....other exmplaes in the 'D' series are the DB15 which is a vga plug and the DB25 which is what the parrallel port uses.

Endymion

It's cool to have a standard connector but I've found the DB9 and the DB15 (now that I think of it, especially the DB15) a real PITA to work with. I've taken to using SCART whenever possible. They're plentiful and cheap on ebay and I've got a switchbox that I only needed to modify once for my monitor.

If I ever get around to modifying my Duo for RGB (this one scares me) I will need some kind of socket like this at the console in order to make a durable, removable cable but with the rest of my stuff doing SCART so well, that's probably the only time I will use it. (Especially considering that I will just wind up using a SCART on the other end anyway.)

NFG

I really like the DB9 and DB15 (But not the high-density DB15 (VGA)) connectors.  They're really super easy to work with.  If you want horrible connectors try working with the mini-DIN10 from a Saturn.  HORRIBLE things.

Vertigo

martianviking

QuoteHow about 'Brian'?
Yeah; right on.  I like "Brian." :D

If you wanna get practical, I definitely understand the desire to use SCART plugs instead.  But I'm sure some people will want to use "Brian" instead, so I was just wondering about the name.

psyduckdemexico

QuoteI really like the DB9 and DB15 (But not the high-density DB15 (VGA)) connectors.  They're really super easy to work with.  If you want horrible connectors try working with the mini-DIN10 from a Saturn.  HORRIBLE things.
if that minidin 10 is the same as the one on the 32x, then yes, it is a pain to work with.

fragment

I have some DB9 connectors, but do you guys usually use the cable that came with your DB9? I hacked DB9's from components that didn't have cables, so I need a source for cables.  

NFG

I usually buy cheap serial cables.  Nine wires, good quality, cheap as dirt.