Scan Rates

Started by gannon, June 19, 2004, 09:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gannon

Hi, I was wodering if any one knows where I can find scan doublers or how to make a latch circuit so I can increase the scan rate of my rgb output for use on a vga monitor.
Thanks in advance for an help.
Here is my site, it has a few mods, mostly to do with portablization.

benzaldehyde

Scan doublers are just about everywhere, but most aren't any good. The ones you'd get at you local EB will likely only upscan composite video or S-video, which will look pretty ugly. The XRGB series from Micromsoft has a pretty good track record for creating RGB upscanners, which while not perfect, will generate a fantastic picture on your monitor.

Forget the circuit; it is hands down the most frightening wiring schematic I've ever seen. :lol:

NFG

I concur.  Making your own scan doubler is something I would never attempt, the cost of components, complexity and expected quality are daunting compared to the relatively low ($150+) price of an XRGB unit.

That said, if there aren't any on ebay, I have XRGBs 1 + 2 for sale in the store

gannon

Thanks, I was just wondering since I have a few chroma decoders laying around and also the fact that many consoles can be hacked to output rgb. Also, I'm getting kinda tired of the bad resolution of my capture card.
Here is my site, it has a few mods, mostly to do with portablization.

Darklegion

You could try the AL250/251 chip from averlogic,this can take any standard tv signal i.e component,rgb,svideo,composite etc and convert it up to 31khz rgb,pretty much a standard scan doubler but the compoany that makes it are known to be very good at video applications....they also sell evaluation boards that are pre-built,but I don't believe they support rgb.....at least straight out of the box,but that can be easily fixed.
I don't know if these can be even be bought withthout being an engineer or part of an organistation that is likely to actually bother buying more of these rather than a gamer looking to hack together a cheap vga box...you could probably scam your way around that though.