DVDs + PS2 + Projector

Started by davidleeroth, June 09, 2004, 05:22:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidleeroth

Ok, I've had a DLP projector (PLUS UP-1100) for a while now.
It has only 15-pin D-connector to take in RGB so the first thing I had to do was make a SCART to D-connector adapter with a sync separator circuit using LM1881. It worked the first time and I happily played my Mega Drive, SNES, PC-Engine, Saturn, PS2 and such consoles for months without problems.

One day I decided to watch Bullitt DVD with my PS2. Go through the menus, start the movie and suddenly the picture goes haywire. Top part of the screen gets misaligned and the picture cuts out and goes out of sync every three seconds or so. Try it again with the same results.

Here's a picture from Bullitt:

Now, pop in Fistful of Dollars and 2001:Space Odyssey, perfect picture. Graduate, Boogie Nights behave like Bullit. Play every PS2 game and other consoles with no problems.

I also uploaded a video which doesn't actually show the misaligment and sync problems too well, but you can see the cuts. (6.6MB Graduate)

http://www.students.tut.fi/~tiainen2/CIMG0176.AVI

Now, finally to the question. Has this something to do with the DVDs, is it a one more thing I can say the PS2 sucks in or did I miss something? I don't have any other thing to play my DVDs at the moment :ph34r: to check this but should I expect to see these symptoms with "real" DVD players as well?

I hope I didn't miss any crucial info as I'll be gone for a week or so, so I probably can't answer any questions before that. Thanks.

fragment

that should be the macrovision protection. THere are several things you can do to remove that protection ie modding the system, or I think there is a CD you can buy and when installed on your memory card, removes that protection. It will happen on movies that have the protection encrypted.  

davidleeroth

Now there's the funny thing. I have modded my PS2 and in my TV all the DVDs work fine.

Darklegion

you'll still need a a cd or a hack on the mainboard to get macro-free,only 1 mod has macro and region free built-in and that is the dms3.Just grab the cd though,the features don't justify the cost in my opinion.Or you could try the mainboard hack,I used to have a schema for it but not anymore

fragment

I have the Matrix MXL2 chip and that makes it Macro and region free!  :D

Darklegion

Thought there might be another 1,thanks for the correction :D

fragment

no problem. The price was reasonable ($35 i think) and "only" 18 wires for the install. No flash ability, but I don't think I will ever need that. They also have the Matrix Infinity that is similiar to the DMS3, but again not something that I needed.

Darklegion

I've been using duo 1 and 2's....pretty standard features but cheap and use hiqh quality parts,and only cost around $40AU at retail(about $25 US).

billy_dimashq

i've got the original messiah chip in my ps2 and it turns off macrovision, too. heck, nearly all ps2 mod chips disable macrovision nowadays...
i guess only the old neo 2.2 and origa's probably didn't do it