US/NTSC N64 RGB mods

Started by thermodan, January 24, 2005, 11:54:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thermodan

This N64 RGB mod seems to be a real puzzle - it works for some people but not others. I've done the standard 3 wire RGB mod to a US N64, as described at gamesx.com here, and it works fine - if using a scart cable that does not use capacitors (the cable I have is a grey Nintendo branded one, which I assume is an original snes rgb scart cable). But if you use the black coloured, official gamecube, rgb scart cable (which uses capacitors) the image seems to be slightly 'greener' than normal.

Has anyone had similar experiences, or can explain this ?

For the record, I used insulated solid copper wires instead of the multi-stranded copper variety. I don't see why this would make the mod work properly though....

school_atom

I usually stick my foot in my mouth when trying to make corrections like this, but I believe that it is the SNES cable that needs capacitors, the the NGC should not.

But other then this, whats the problem, one cable gives funny colors, one doesnt? Ask lawrence why blue sucks and green doesnt.

NFG

Atom: The capacitors depend on the region.  The Euro SNES was different than the US + JP ones, ditto for the GC.  It's important to know where the system's from.

atom

I see, I was thinking the other day, we should make some sort of plugin for phpbb that would tell someone's region under their rank and junk food.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

Endymion

There should be a location item in the profiles, most blokes don't seem to want to fill them out though, on most any bb. (not just this one.)

atom

Yeah, and rather then coding a plugin to display this information, I say we all add this info to our signatures.

NFG

Nice idea, atom, except my list would take up WAY too much space.  =/

D-Lite

.... and you should do something about the custom ranks.  Hell, Atom has 289 posts and he's a Neophyte?  Come on Lawrence.

But while we're at it, what is the cap value for NTSC systems?

thermodan

To be clear: both cables came from Europe. I opened them both up and the grey (snes ?) cable had capacitors but the black gamecube cable did not. I was using them on a rgb modified NTSC N64 and encountered the issues described.

(And I'm in Australia....)

atom

The diagrams I have seen for filtering out the DC offset have used 220uf capacitors. There also sometimes appear to be a problem with the sync signal for some USA consoles, some bridge the 5v line and the sync line with a pot and adjust it till they get a stable image.

Just to cite my source: http://homepage.mac.com/arekkusu/GS/snesrgb.html

And yeah lawrence, that was exactly what I was thinking when filling all that out. Maybe you could just link to a webpage with the history of video gaming for your list. That is, you do own a Odyssey, dont you?