Why does the gamecube only output component through the digital output?

Started by zmiize, May 06, 2014, 01:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zmiize

Hello, Im new in the forums and I was wondering why doesn't the gamecube output component video through the original analogue port like in the older consoles like the snes and 64? And is it possible to get rgb out of it instead? It really bothers me that nintendo couldn't include rgb or another type of output that doesn't distort the picture as much as composite or s-video. The component cable for the gamecube is really expensive, it is ridiculously pricey and scarce. Although if someone has one to offer for a much cheaper price, let me know ;)

NFG

You're massively confused, neither the SNES nor N64 output Component video through the AV port.  In fact, the PS2 was the first console -ever- to output component video.  Component video became the standard on consumer TVs, so there was no point supporting RGB.

You can easily get RGB from a GameCube, but it does require one of those expensive component cables:  http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:gamecube_rgb

For my money, s-video is very very good, and if you're not getting good results with it I'd blame your TV.  I once worked weeks to get RGB from a system (back in the day when none of this info was on the net (which is why I started gamesx.com)) only to find the RGB monitor I had didn't look half as good as my cheap JVC TV using s-video.

If you want cheap component cables, get a time machine.  I bought stacks of them for two hundred yen when the GameCube was still fresh in Japan.  Sorry.  ^_^

zmiize

Well that is dissapointing :/ the thing is I was hoping to use my gamecube on an lcd/led tv (which to me is much more convenient than a crt tv) but lcd/led tv don't have s-video now a days, my other option would be to use an upscaler with s-video input, but there are pretty scarce and expensive where I live (South America) so I guess I'll just have to make up with composite it really is a bummer :(

micro

Hmm, have you considered getting a PAL Gamecube? They're really cheap over here (10€ for the system) and they support RGB :D

Andy-Antsinpants

Older Wii consoles with GameCube support can display GC games via the more affordable Wii Component video cable. This goes for both PAL and NTSC Wii.

zmiize

Does a modded pal gamecube play ntsc games in rgb? that could be an option if it does.

micro

Yes, it does!  :D

The nice thing is that the developer of the XenoGC modchip has released the source files. You can programm your own XenoGC for about 2€. It works absolutely flawlessly. (I've only tested original import games)

Andy-Antsinpants

Another option to play NTSC games on a PAL GameCube is using the Freeloader Disc. Tried on mine with Baten Kaitos 2, works fine.

zmiize

Thanks I'll see if a can get my hands on a modded pal gamecube :)

phreak97

I've been using my wii to play gamecube games via component video, if us prices are anything like they are here you can get a wii and a component cable for about $35. you can also softmod the wii to support progressive scan and wide screen modes for gamecube games (not 100% compatible though)

imparanoic

please note  pal gamecube games are 17.6% slower with massive black borders, not so nice.

best of both worlds, freeloader on pal gamecube, RGB on the cheap as well as playing full speed and full screen gaming, I use wii for gamecube games via component, it decent, but apparently slightly inferior to gamecube native component

phreak97

There arent any black borders on pal gamecube games, they use the full 576 lines. and theyre speed fixed so theyre a few percent slower at most. Plus if you hold B while booting the game it will let you choose 60HZ mode which eliminates slowdown at the expense of the extra lines (480 lines).

imparanoic

not all gamecube games in pal had 50htz/60htz option, even worse, even a few wii pal games don't have this option

phreak97

I have heard that, but I have not found any decent games without that function so I wouldnt worry

imparanoic

at least on thing, we freeloader or modchip on pal gamecube, you can play Japanese exclusive decent games such in pure rgb with no expensive cable modifications ( component or d terminal) such as ikaruga and pc genjin/kid remake