Digital Optical Out

Started by Segasonicfan, July 05, 2005, 11:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Segasonicfan

Yeah, I know this is a sound question, but there isn't a section for that so I'm posting it in the video section here.

Basically I just need to know how to hook up a digital optical output signal.  I really don't understand this form of audio nor how to hook it up.  I have an output on my Laseractive and I'd love to hear the renound sound from it.  I have the proper cable (TOSLINK) and a Sony Sound Receiver/Amplifier (model no: STR-DE935).  The receiver has a digital optical input but when I connect it I don't get any sound.  Do I also have to connect the analog Audio L/R wires?  Or is my receiver possibly broken?  I really would appreciate and help on this!

-Segasonicfan

EDIT:  Just found that my receiver does not accept Digital Optical In, only outputs.
MY WEBSITE: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
I design PCBs for retro game systems :)

Bostich

Hmm...it seems very strange that a receiver would output digital optical, but not accept it as an input.  According this, you should have 3 optical inputs:

http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/specs.cgi?cpi..._id=6&sort=7677

On my receiver, you have to assign the optical inputs to a source via the setup menu so you may have to do the same thing.  You shouldn't have to connect the analog audio cables; that would defeat the purpose of using a digital cable.

hidden frog

We have this Bose surround system which for some bizarre reason needs to have the stereo RCA jacks inserted into its auxilliary input in order to output a digital signal. I've tried hooking just a digital coaxial cable without the RCA's plugged in and nothing. Plug them in and the digital suddenly works. Unplug the digital and the sound cuts out (meaning the sound is dfeinitely coming through the digital coax).

Just strange.

Segasonicfan

Thanks for the replys guys.  Yeah I look on the back and there are 3 inputs and one output for MD players.  However, only the MD output has the red light...is that only on for outputs?  That would make sense since it's outputting a signal.  However, when I connect to the inputs...no matter which one, I can't get any sound.  I tried connecting the stereo cables too and no luck.  I've fooled with the menu and set it on optical output too.  Maybe my speakers need to be connected to a certain place as well.  I'll give at another shot since now I know my receiver is capable of it.  Thanks :)

-Segasonicfan
MY WEBSITE: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
I design PCBs for retro game systems :)

Aidan

The red light is only on for outputs, as that's how the data is sent. I assume that whatever you're playing on the LD player has a suitable audio track on it, and the LD player is set up to output the digital signal!
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

YES!  I got it all to work.  It turns out (for no appearent reason) My Sony receiver will not output the digital optical out signal through the secondary audio out (RCA jacks).  You MUST connect speakers using speaker wire to the main inputs.  It makes no sense cause you can set the 2nd audio to output optical and everything, it just simply refuses to do it.  Thank you for all your help, now I can play my Laseractive and PSTwo in optical sound!!

-Segasonicfan