S-Video Mod for the JVC X'Eye?

Started by meateebon, March 31, 2005, 03:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meateebon

I've been searching the 'net all night trying to find info about adding the s-video out back to a US model JVC X'Eye, but can't find any definite information.  Can someone help me out, just looking at the inside of the unit it seems like the mainboard is just begging me to add an s-video port back in. It appears that there's a spot designed just for it, only the parts are missing.  If anyone can give me some solid details on how to mod the X'Eye for s-video, I would cry with happiness.

Thanks!

Endymion

Search the video/rgb forum for the Sony CXA1645, someone used this to amplify RGB for his Duo and then put the same circuit into the X'Eye with plenty of information in the relevant thread.

meateebon

I was hoping for a more straightforward solution for the X'Eye, since the Japanese Wondermegas had s-video built in from the factory.  When JVC brought the Wondermega over to the US as the X'Eye, it looks to me that they probably just used the same mainbaord from the Wondermega, only they took the s-video jack and some resistors off the board.  The mainboard in my X'Eye has a place ready for an s-video jack, here's a photo I found online, only there's no relevant information with it:

If I could somehow get a photo of this same place on a Wondermega with all the parts still intact, it seems like it would be as easy as 1-2-3 to just pop in the missing parts and be in s-video heaven.

Endymion

You really should search for the topic I mentioned. It has all of this information that you need. It is as straightforward as you are going to manage. (Seriously.)

The CXA1145 is typical in older Sega units. It is unsuitable for use with s-video.

The CXA1645, and at least one other whose number I can't recall, do s-video wonderfully. All are great RGB amplifiers.

Anyway, the X'Eye seems to be using none of these, but rather a weird Fujitsu chip which appears to clone the 1145. Whereas the Wondermega and Wondermega 2, with their S-video, should have the 1645.

So if you manage to get the Fujitsu chip to do s-video, it looks like you will be the first, and you won't get anything in the way of a beforehand walkthrough. However, being that it clones the CXA1145, if you just search for the thread(s) that I mentioned, which discuss these in detail (including links to the chip data sheets), you will see the pin config for where you need to hook things up, including wiring diagrams and all.

kendrick

I'm not inclined to open up my X'eye to check again, but if I recall correctly there's also an encoder chip missing on the underside. You could solder an S-Video port into the appropriate spot on the board but if your board is anything like mine then the traces go nowhere. Wish I knew what chip was missing, but that information is not available at this time.

-KKC, deep into God of War. I wonder what the Japanese will end up thinking of this game...

Endymion

RARusk's information on amplifying RGB with the 1145. He made a nice converter box for his own use

CXA1145 vs CXA1645, worth noting here is that originally, D-lite only wanted to get RGB amplification. The 1145 did this fine, when he wanted s-video, he moved to the 1645. More on Wondermega/X'Eye specifics.

Where to find which chips, a nice attempt at mapping stuff, although it seems to be all over the place, we couldn't work out which units had which.

More fuel for the 1645, basically the other chips suck for s-video.

The end result, and photos to show why it's worth it. D-Lite has also done an X'Eye so you should talk to him about this. I am very sure he used the 1645 for it also.

NFG

The Wondermega, at least the Wondermega1, uses the Fujitsu chip as well.  It offers Svideo output without using a Sony chip.

D-Lite

I posted about the X'Eye a short while ago.  It's a very easy mod if you've ever modded a Neo Geo AES.  You need a couple of NTE 85 transistors to do it properly from a CXA1145 and just a handful of caps and resistors.  I build my own board and just wire it inside the X'Eye.  Really the most difficult part is finding the right S-Video PCB mount, which I still haven't found :/   I just drill a hole and mout a new one.

The "other" chip you can find in the X'Eye is the Fujitsu MB3514 which is exactly pin compliant with the CXA1645, thankfully.  Getting nice S-Video from the 1645 or 3514 is only a couple of caps and resistors.  Very easy to do.