SASI Pinout on the WIKI

Started by RetroRepair, October 16, 2014, 10:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RetroRepair

Just wanted to make sure it's accurate since I have noticed the connectors on the right of the image are not in the right orientation which does make a difference to the wiring.

I'm conversing with Michael McMaster who makes the SCSI2SD to try and figure out why it doesn't work on SASI machines and if the cable is wrong we won't be getting very far!

eidis

Hi RetroRepair !

QuoteJust wanted to make sure it's accurate since I have noticed the connectors on the right of the image are not in the right orientation which does make a difference to the wiring.

The pinouts on the left side are correct and they are all that matters. Every pin and signal line is clearly labeled. Right side is for illustration purposes only.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

lydux

What's the problem with SCSI2SD and SASI ? I didn't remember a thread here talking about that.

RetroRepair

It doesn't seem to like SASI machines for some reason, even with SxSI.

He did find an undocumented command it was getting stuck on which MESS seems to have helped with in it's x68k source. Still can't get it to be recognized by the X68000 though, with any combination of termination and settings.

A few other members reported they got it working great on SCSI machines but no one has it working with SASI.

eidis

Hi RetroRepair !

Could it be linked to parity setting ? Our forum member X-Col had similar problem getting a SCSI to IDE adapter and CF card working on his ACE HD. He solved it by using the following settings:

QuoteSet CF adapter as Slave, replaced RST jumper and DMA jumper.
Yamaha set at ID3, Parity off, Terminator on, Block Size off.

Strange thing is that I have ACE HD and the same SCSI to IDE adapter and it worked fine with parity enabled.

More info can be found in the following thread:

Problem with Yamaha V769970 & CF
http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5524.0

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

eidis

Hi Lydux !

It was confirmed by our forum member Costa that SCSI2SD works fine on SCSI machines but does not work on SASI machines.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

RetroRepair

So turns out between that info and Michael's work SCSI2SD now supports SASI X68000s  8)

I did have to set the termination jumper, set ID to 3 (I assume any other than 0 will work) and parity to off in the SCSI2SD config (with the current version this is no longer required).

One happy camper  8)

eidis

Hi RetroRepair !

Thank you for the good news. The following article was updated:

Connecting and preparing a hard drive on SASI machine
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:hard_drive_on_sasi_machine&#chapter_1scsi_to_ide_cf_sd_adapter

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

RetroRepair

I should point out also that the X68000 HDD LED signal can be soldered to the left side of R6 on the SCSI2SD (either side is ok but this side is a bit brighter).

eidis

Hi RetroRepair !

Please post clear hi-res pics of the mod so it can be added to the wiki.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

RetroRepair

Sorry missed this, here's a pic, the wire is "HDD LED" from the SASI cable.