The dim Mac mini VGA issue

Started by blackevilweredragon, March 14, 2006, 08:11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackevilweredragon

not game related, but is RGB (VGA) related, and hopefully you guys can shed some light on this...

As you "might" know, the G4 Mac mini had some complaints about dim VGA video, and was due to the mini only outputting .5mV instead of the VGA .7mV...

Any cheap and easy way to fix this?

the picture appears dark, and a little "washed"..

viletim!

Apple didn't get a the video right...that's kind of surprising. Their hardware's meant to be premium shit. But then, I haven't used an apple computer since system 7.5 so I'm not really with it.

Amplifing computer video is tricky because the signal is really fast and input/output/cable impedance is critical. I'd use a high freqency video opamp with at least 200MHz bandwith, something that can drive the 150 ohm (75 source + 75 load) line Then use a dual power supply, set three opamps in a noninverting config with a gain of about 2.8 (or whatever), and put a 75 ohm resistor in series with the output.

Guest_Martin

Apple have this whole "Omg it's got no buttons!" type thing going on right now, and quite frankly it's pissing me off.

Apple are aiming their stuff at the iPOD generation now, and it's all about replacing butons with stupid swirly dials that you draw your finger over and shit.

blackevilweredragon

QuoteApple have this whole "Omg it's got no buttons!" type thing going on right now, and quite frankly it's pissing me off.

Apple are aiming their stuff at the iPOD generation now, and it's all about replacing butons with stupid swirly dials that you draw your finger over and shit.
And yet that is completely unrelated to what I asked.

Is this just a problem with certain models?
I have a G4 mini and I haven't noticed any difference in brightness between it and any of the half dozen or so PCs I've had connected to it over the years.

blackevilweredragon

QuoteIs this just a problem with certain models?
I have a G4 mini and I haven't noticed any difference in brightness between it and any of the half dozen or so PCs I've had connected to it over the years.
It affected all G4 Mac minis with 32MB VRAM.

However, some VGA monitors were able to produce a good picture due to them having the ability to go that low in mV...

Endymion

The problem you speak of was found to happen with VGA connections--not with DVI.

You could always get yourself a DVI monitor.

blackevilweredragon

QuoteThe problem you speak of was found to happen with VGA connections--not with DVI.

You could always get yourself a DVI monitor.
I know it was a VGA issue.

I have a DVI monitor, but the problem is that the DVI on the Mac mini was weak also, causing DVI "static", on some LCDs that didn't have good enough circuitry to read the weak values coming in...

I will find a link when I can..