Dragon Cable+SNES not working

Started by Codeman, April 17, 2008, 10:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Codeman

I bought a RGB Dragon Cable which is a RGB cable for the Xbox,PSX,PSX2 and GC.

I tried it on my PAL SNES and got a weird result, as I turned on the system a dark image appeared and started fading and fading.. and about 5s later the image is completly dark!

The GC and SNES are similar in pinout right? a RGB cable that works in a SNES should work in a GC, right?

NFG

The PAL implementation of the GC and SNES have always been a little different.  The fading RGB issue is a matter of having caps where there shouldn't be any, or vice versa.  Basically you've got a cable which would work fine on an NTSC unit but not PAL (or vice versa).  This is how Nintendo screwed PAL users again: by changing the standard so SNES RGB cables wouldn't work on the GC.

Easy fix, but still irritating.

Codeman

So the PAL SNES doesnt need the caps but the PAL GC does?
Ill try making a on/off switch for the caps then...

Btw if I eventually do a RGB mod on my n64 will it need the caps on the cable?

Codeman

UPDATE

I just got a NTSC-J GC and I get the same symptom! Is this normal or does the NTSC-J GC have the same output as the PAL SNES, the one that doesnt use the caps?

Link83

Quote from: Codeman on October 18, 2008, 12:33:49 AM
UPDATE

I just got a NTSC-J GC and I get the same symptom! Is this normal or does the NTSC-J GC have the same output as the PAL SNES, the one that doesnt use the caps?

The NTSC-J (or NTSC-U) Gamecube doesnt output RGB over the MultiAV out port - only Composite or S-Video. Only the PAL Gamecube outputs RGB over the MultiAV out port.

You can get RGB out of an NTSC-J/NTSC-U GC by using the 'Digital AV out port' (if it has one) using a Component cable, or RGB/VGA if you modify the cable.

viletim