Can't capture video on PAL N64

Started by eek, January 15, 2006, 10:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eek

This is a weird problem.

I can record gameplay from my PAL N64 direct to a VCR and playback is fine. When I try to capture from the VCR, the signal gets all scrambled almost like there is some kind of macrovision-esque signal degradation thing going except much worse.

Hooking the N64 direct to my capture card (it's actually just a graphics card with VIVO), nets the exact same result.

The thing is, I can capture video from a NTSC N64 just fine.

I know it's not the capture card, because I have captured other PAL sourced video with no problems. I know it's not the cables I'm using as I've tried s-video as well as composite.

It must be something to do with it being from a PAL N64.

Darklegion

Probably stating the obvious but is there some option in your capture problem for switching between PAl/NTSC ? I know that in tvtime if a mode with a different refresh rate to the source is chosen, you'll get a garbled display, sometimes with the symptoms you describe.I just tried it then with XBMC on an xbox, and it came up with a flickering mostly green screen with lots of artifacts.

eek

I have tried switching between every known PAL & NTSC mode under the sun. Like I stated before, I can capture PAL or NTSC sources fine, just not from a PAL N64.

FM-77

Is your NTSC N64 RGB modded? If it is, it might be the reason. PAL N64s can not be RGB modded.

If neither of the consoles are RGB modded, it might be because of the same reason PAL N64 consoles cannot be RGB modded.

(Wow, that's abusing the term "RGB modded.")

WMJ

I have the exact same problem with my PAL n64. When I try to capture PAL video from the n64 using a composite cable I get an all messed up picture but when I use the same composite cable on a PAL Gamecube it works fine.

The strange thing about this is that it does work fine when some games are set in hi-res mode with the expansion pack (Star Wars Racer, Shadowman, Turok 2) but it doesn't seem to work in normal resolution.

So I'm very interested if someone finds a solution to this.

Vertigo

What software are you using with your capture card?
If you're not already using it, I suggest DScaler. You don't need to uninstall your card's software or drivers or anything like that, just run DScaler instead of your usual software. It may or may not support your capture card (check their FAQ, find out for yourself!) but I've had no problem capturing various PAL signals (although not a N64, haven't got a PAL one) and the app has a menu to auto-detect or manually select from various input methods and will record to video too, although sound support is a little shoddy for now so you'll have to work out your own solution for that.

eek

Interestingly, I also can't capture a stable signal 50Hz from my PAL Saturn either. Luckily I have a 60Hz switch on it which DOES work, but again, another mystery of the world.

WMJ

Yeah it's really strange. For my it doesn't work with either a PAL NES, SNES or N64, but Gamecube and Dreamcast are fine.  :huh:
It really must be something with the PAL n64 because when I run a US 60Hz game on it it doens't work either.

My capture card itn't supported by DScaler because it's a cheap one called tv@mpg (encodes directly to mpg if that matters). I can't get it to work with virtual dub either for some reason  <_< , only with the software that came with it.
I mainly bought it to caputre some video game footage where I might need lots of attempts without going through the whole encoding process and a lot of discspace all the time.

Guess I'll have to get a cheap ntsc n64 some day  :P  

viletim!

Perhaps you are using the wrong cabe. PAL and NTSC nintendo A/V cables (the standard three phono plug type) are different from each other on all nintendo consoles from SNES onwards. Using the wrong cable in the wrong console will distort the signal.

Vertigo

QuotePerhaps you are using the wrong cabe. PAL and NTSC nintendo A/V cables (the standard three phono plug type) are different from each other on all nintendo consoles from SNES onwards. Using the wrong cable in the wrong console will distort the signal.
That's interesting, because I've tried the same phono cable on PAL and NTSC SNES, NTSC N64 and Gamecube into my TV and also my video capture card and they've all been fine.

Moonlapse, you can get a PCTV Rave card for about �10 tops, which is supported by DScaler.

WMJ

I'm sure that in my case the cable can't be the problem. It's the same AV cable that came with the n64 and it's only giving me problems in combination with the capture card.
I do have an NTSC s-video cable that I bought someday because on the box it said "can be used with PAL n64"  <_< . When I try that one I get a much too bright picture with color bleed everywhere (on the tv, capture card is a black screen).

I'll probably see if I can find that PCTV Rave card, or something similar, around where I live because it'll probably be the easiest solution, so thanks  :)