n64 rgb connecting to TV

Started by terzdesign, August 19, 2012, 03:36:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terzdesign

Hey all

I'm new to this whole modding the n64 thing, but I have a very potentially simple question. I can understand the soldering of the chip and all but when it comes to connecting the system to the tv afterwards do I just use the same red, yellow, white cables like normal or do I need to make a new cable that connects to the component ports? Also, my tv has what looks like a VGA port on the back that says "RGB PC". Is that what I am suppose to use?

Game-Tech.us

RGB PC won't work since it probably expects a signal that is 31khz and rgb from most vintage consoles is 15khz.
You can buy a cable that is multi-out on one end like the n64 AV port and scart on the other. The scart end can be plugged in to a scart to yuv (also know as rgb to component) converter found on ebay etc that has rca output jacks for Y,Pb,Pr (component). Most US tvs also have these kinds of inputs.
Here is one of a few vids I did showing the scart to yuv converter.
http://youtu.be/JnTLK0P7UAQ

terzdesign

So basically the best way is to hook up to ComPonent - The way being to do that is get a cable that hooks up from n64 to scart, then scart to component?

Game-Tech.us

Everybody has their own opinion on the best way to do, well everything...
But if you're in the US, yes its the easiest/best way, unless you have/get a tv that accepts 15khz rgb, like the sony pvm studio monitor family of crt tvs.

terzdesign

I keep finding posts about how the picture quality will be dark after moddification. Will that happen with this method?

Also, do I need to buy this converter as well or can I skip it? http://compare.ebay.com/like/370457930044?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Game-Tech.us

The rgb has to be amplified or it will be dark.
You can skip the converter if you have a tv with a scart input, or if you want component installed inside the console.
I just got the snes chip, which is an rgb to component converter in one chip, to work on an rgb modded nintendo, its much cheaper and smaller than the Jrok and no external crap needed.

terzdesign

Quote from: akaviolence on August 23, 2012, 02:07:41 AM
You can skip the converter if you have a tv with a scart input, or if you want component installed inside the console.
I just got the snes chip, which is an rgb to component converter in one chip, to work on an rgb modded nintendo, its much cheaper and smaller than the Jrok and no external crap needed.

When you say SNES chip what are you refering to? And is it compatible with the n64?

Game-Tech.us

Quote from: terzdesign on September 04, 2012, 09:31:11 AM
Quote from: akaviolence on August 23, 2012, 02:07:41 AM

When you say SNES chip what are you refering to? And is it compatible with the n64?
Some snes consoles have a chip that does rgb to component conversion, its a ba6592f or ba6594af.
I will know soon if I can use it with the n64, just waiting for pcbs to come in.