Help with a PSP

Started by kattanFAN, August 02, 2006, 10:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kattanFAN

My problem is my PSP will not come on, unless I have an AC adapter plugged in. Also, a car adapter will not work. Another thing to add: my little brother's battery from his PSP wouldn't work, either.

You see, I left on the dashboard (my the original box, which since I got it last year served as a case) back in January. My dad went somewhere and was gone much longer than I thought (I thought about 30min instead of the reality, which was about 1.5 to 2 hours).

Any help?

I'm saving up for a new one, but I would really like to not have to buy a new one if I can get my current one to work.

kendrick

Based on what I can understand of your description, it just sounds like the PSP doesn't detect the battery. If you've correctly diagnosed heat damage, it's possible that you have a burnt-out relay, or a short in the switch that detects if the AC adapter is connected. The only way to know for sure is to have the thing pulled open so you can test voltage levels while the thing is running.

-KKC, on a quest for a Vic 20.

kattanFAN

QuoteBased on what I can understand of your description, it just sounds like the PSP doesn't detect the battery. If you've correctly diagnosed heat damage, it's possible that you have a burnt-out relay, or a short in the switch that detects if the AC adapter is connected. The only way to know for sure is to have the thing pulled open so you can test voltage levels while the thing is running.

-KKC, on a quest for a Vic 20.
So, how do I test voltage levels? I think my dad has something. I don't know if it could be used with such small and sensetive devices.

And once I find out the voltage levels, how would I fix this?

Could I send my PSP to Sony? I know that the warranty has expired, but could they still fix it?

kendrick

With a logic probe, you can check voltage in most TTL devices by searching for high state on any exposed contact. A multimeter will provide similar function if you find a confirmed ground (like the negative contact on the battery connector) and connect the common line there. The multimeter will be more useful for testing continuity, using the ohmmeter function.

If you're not familiar with the use of a multimeter, I'd suggest getting a manual or other instructional document. Radio Shack has a couple on the shelf, and most hardware stores will have similar books aimed at do-it-yourselfers.

-KKC, doing the Gameboy thing.