no CDDA on X'Eye

Started by Smeg, May 11, 2008, 09:13:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smeg

Hey folks, like the topic says I've got a JVC X'Eye that I can't seem to persuade to output CD audio. I've tried audio CDs and Sega CD games with CD audio, and I've tried the RCA audio ports, the headphone jack and the A/V out - all with no luck. Everything else (audio and otherwise) works fine and dandy on the unit, just no CD audio. Anyone reading have any ideas or experience with the same issue?

kendrick

Failure to output CD Audio is, strangely enough, usually related to the amplification hardware that's used to produce the final signal. Are your games loading fine otherwise? Is the internal CD player application able to view the number of tracks on an audio disk and navigate them? If so, that means your lens is fine and every other piece of hardware is able to read disks normally.

When the internal amp fails, it's generally because capacitors have blown or have otherwise failed. The problem you describe is very common on Sega CD, PC-Engine and Neo Geo CD units. Fortunately, the X'eye is very easy to open and all the components are pretty well exposed on the board. Someone with slightly more knowledge will have to help you identify which caps go with the CD audio hardware, though.

Smeg

Thanks for the quick reply!

Quote from: kendrick on May 11, 2008, 09:09:25 PM
Are your games loading fine otherwise? Is the internal CD player application able to view the number of tracks on an audio disk and navigate them?

Yes and yes.

QuoteWhen the internal amp fails, it's generally because capacitors have blown or have otherwise failed. The problem you describe is very common on Sega CD, PC-Engine and Neo Geo CD units. Fortunately, the X'eye is very easy to open and all the components are pretty well exposed on the board. Someone with slightly more knowledge will have to help you identify which caps go with the CD audio hardware, though.

I'm no expert, but none of the caps show any signs of bulging or leaking so far as I can see. This is the best photo I could pull off if someone else wants to take a stab at it, or at least point out which ones I should be paying attention to. Also, what're the trim pots for? Could adjusting them help or should I leave them alone?

kendrick

My educated guess would be to check out the three capacitors underneath and to the right of the CD drive ribbon cable. These caps are the PCB electrolytic variety and you can see that they're different due to the lack of a colorful plastic coating. They usually won't show any signs of having failed until you pull them off the board. Even if they're not bad, it won't hurt you to replace them with new caps since they're likely to go bad in a few years anyway.

l_oliveira

My japanese Mega CD (old tray model) once lost CD-DA sound. Replacing one capacitor did bring CD-DA audio back.
Then I went on and replaced ALL capacitors in it (including the SMD ones on the main CPU board and the CD-Drive)

Once I was done with the replacements, it was working as good as it were when it was new. I could even play CDRs in it.
Without even touching the laser unit, btw...

If you can't replace the capacitors yourself, try to contact an electronics technician.

Smeg

Thanks for the tips guys. I know a couple of folks who are steadier with a soldering gun than I am, so hopefully I'll be able to give this a shot soon.